Chapter 42 - The Banquet (Part 2)

"Sir Jing of the Jing Clan has arrived!" A resonant voice announced.

For a moment, the entire hall quietened down as a handsome man dressed in a pale blue robe strolled in nonchalantly. An exquisite white lotus jade hanged loosely on his belt, and his robe fluttered gently in the night breeze. He walked in calmly without a hint of unfamiliarity, as if he was just strolling in his own backyard. Jing Yun Sheng was not surprised by the attention on him. After all, not only his reputations had preceded him, but he was also rarely seen out in the public. Hence, many people in the banquet, from the lowest ranking to the highest-ranking ministers and noble alike were extremely curious of this famous Jing clan leader, Jing Yun Sheng.

He had betrayed his own homeland and played a huge role in defeating the Mo Army. Without him, the war would not break out, despite the tense relationship between the two Empires. Naturally, the ambitious Yin had always wanted to declare war, but never had the courage and a solid reason without drawing the ire of the citizen. War, would after all deplete a lot of resources and caused a massive loss of lives. Hence, for many years, they could only have the thoughts but not being able to act on it.

It was not until the Jing clan decided to defect to Yin that they had the reason to do what they have always wanted to do. Jing Yun Sheng not only became the spark that started the fire, he also gave them the advantage and insider knowledge to fight the battle with the infamous Scarlet Emperor.

Without Jing Yun Sheng, the Yin Empire probably would not be able to win this battle. People had long heard of this prodigy from the Mo, but to see him demonstrating his shrewdness and intelligence to take down the Mo Empire step by step was truly impressive and terrifying at the same time. His personality was peculiar and unpredictable that many people had difficulties understanding the motives behind all his actions. Hence, the people feared him, yet at the same time admired him for his talents and capabilities.

Not to mention, this was the first time the madams and the young ladies from prestigious household were able to get a glimpse of him. Even though they rarely left the household, yet they were extremely familiar with reputation of the Jing clan young leader, especially the tragic love story between him and his childhood lover, Yang Yi, which had been known as the root of resentment between the Mo Emperor and him. Teacher and student fought ferociously for the love of a single woman, resulting in the fall of a century old solid Empire. In the heart of many young ladies, they had long admired the Jing clan leader for many years, and to be able to see the dashing young man appearing in front of them was truly lady luck was finally on their side!

Jing Yun Sheng glanced across the hall quietly. Noticing the atmosphere was slightly awkward, someone from the crowd quickly cheered loudly, "Drink! Let's continue to drink!" It was a good move as many had begun to feel uncomfortable with the awkward silence, and they quickly chimed in and cheered along loudly. Very quickly, the hall began to bustle again.

"Sir Jing, what a pleasant surprise to see you here. Usually, you would not appear in this kind of event."

Yin He had already waltzed right in front of Jing Yun Sheng while he was still quietly observing his surroundings. Jing Yun Sheng smiled as he put his hands together and greeted Yin He back.

"Good evening, Lord Yin"

"I have to say, today must be my lucky day. Meeting Lord Jing is even harder than meeting the Emperor himself! What an honour!" Yin He joked lightly as he flicked his paper fan open and fanned himself lazily.

A small smile appeared on Jing Yun Sheng face when he heard Yin He's hidden sarcasm. He did not seem to take it to heart as he replied politely, "Lord Yin is exaggerating. I am just a humble clan leader and is nothing compared to your esteemed self. My body is weak since young; hence I rarely leave my manor, but today is a very special occasion, so how can I not come?"

Yin He raised his eyebrows meaningfully at Jing Yun Sheng "Oh? Then I hope you are feeling much better now, Sir Jing."

Whenever there was an event or gathering, Jing Yun Sheng would use his own fragile health as an excuse to not attend. Even though he was not officially appointed as an official in the royal court, but he had been actively involved with the court affair especially matters relating to Mo Empire. He had been an advisor to the emperor on many affairs, yet he was not bound by the rules and regulations of a normal officials. Occasionally he even declined to attend important events, but the Yin Emperor did not take it to heart and let him be. It can be seen the Yin Emperor held Jing Yun Sheng with extreme high regards. Yin He's word might seem like a careless comment, but Jing Yun Sheng could guess Yin He's true intention.

It seemed that Yin He knew that Jing Yun Sheng was not able to decline the invitation to the banquet today, because the emperor had specifically instructed him to come. Though the emperor did not mention the reason, but both Jing Yun Sheng and Yin He seemed to have their own thoughts toward this matter.

Jing Yun Sheng did not reply. Instead, he smiled in response.

Yin He laughed as he drawled nonchalantly, "Well, today is after all a very important day."

Before Jing Yun Sheng could say anything, a female official had came up to them and said, "My apologies for the interruption, my Lords. Sir Jing, the Emperor had specifically assigned your servant to serve you during the banquet. Please let me lead you to your seat."

Yin He could not help but raise his eyebrow again when he saw the seat that was reserved for Sir Jing. It was right beneath the Emperor, and right opposite of his usual seat. He tapped his fan on his chin and hummed lightly.

Turning to Yin He, the female official added as she pointed to another female official behind her, "Lord Yin, this servant will lead you to your seat. The banquet will be starting very soon."

Yin He nodded in reply and said to Jing Yun Sheng meaningfully, "Sir Jing, I hope you will enjoy the banquet tonight."

Yin He smiled brightly at the other person, before turning around, and left with the female official. Jing Yun Sheng watched Yin He intently from behind. The black pupils flickered with ambiguity as he contemplated Yin He's meaning for a moment, before finally turning his attention back to the lady official who was waiting for him patiently.

"Do lead the way then."

Along the way, Jing Yun Sheng took note of the people in the banquet and their seating arrangement before committing it to his memory. Most of the officials did not dare to look at him straight in the eyes and would look away whenever he glanced in their direction. Other than respect, he could tell that most of them were afraid of him.

When Jing Yun Sheng reached his seat, he felt someone's gaze on his back, so he turned around, and met the eyes of another noble dressed in a light green robe. The nobleman gave him a polite smile before continuing his conversation with the person sitting next to his table. Jing Yun Sheng asked the female officer standing beside him, "Who is that nobleman sitting over there?"

"Lord Jing, that is Lord Zheng from the Zheng clan."

Jing Yun Sheng furrowed his brow slightly but say nothing more. As soon as he sat down, he saw Yin He, who was siting opposite of him, raising his cup of wine at him, as if toasting him. He smiled and raised his cup response.

Just right at that moment, a loud voice suddenly announced, "His Majesty and Her Highness has arrived!"