Chapter 4 - The Pride of an Emperor

One finally gone, but another came. These Yin people just cannot leave me alone, but when did he arrived? I did not sense his presence at all. It must be those pain killers. Not only did they make my pain numb, but they also make my senses dull!

Meng Yu was lost in her deep thoughts, and unconsciously furrowed her brows. Qing Yao noticed her expression and could not hide his amusement. He broke into a small smile as he wondered what she was thinking to be so lost in her thoughts. He just stood patiently in front of her and waited for her response. It was not long before Meng Yu snapped out of her reverie and noticed his amused expression, as if he was looking at an interesting animal.

"You... Why are you here?" She shot him a cold look.

Qing Yao was summoned into the palace late at night yesterday. The royal guards came and made quite a ruckus that even Meng Yu who did not care about anything was aware of it. Mu Yin said that he will be staying out for a few days to settle some important matters.

"Things are done for the day, so I came back." He tried to answer nonchalantly, but it was obvious he was trying to refrain from laughing. He was amused by her question that even Meng Yu realized it was very stupid to ask. She regretted immediately for even asking in the first place.

This is his home. Of course he comes home after getting his work done.

He noticed her discomfort, so he changed the topic swiftly.

"So, Mu Yin made you copy these?"

Seeing her lack of response, Qing Yao continued, "Well, it is good since they are already piling up, but Mu Yin is too busy to help me clear them." Meng Yu tilted her head to one side and thought to herself.

Are you done talking?

She shook her head and returned to her writing. She was not one who talk a lot, so Qing Yao just smiled at her response. Meng Yu was planning to ignore him, and focus on completing her work on hand, but when she turned to dip her brush into the ink slab, she realized that it was already drying up while she was busy scaring Xiao Yun off. She looked at her bandaged left arm, and then back to the ink slab.

Great!

Qing Yao watched her frustrated expression and chuckled to himself.

"Let me help you," he did not wait for her to reply and picked up the ink stick. Meng Yu stared at him wordlessly as he started grinding efficiently. She silently debated in her heart.

I cannot move my arm and he has nothing better to do. So just let him do it then!

Grudgingly, she nodded approvingly before going back to her writing. Both of them worked silently, as one grinded the ink slab attentively, the other wrote diligently. The wind was quite strong in the afternoon. Her long black hair danced lightly in the wind and a few strands kept falling over her face. She tried to push them back with her occupied right hand but found herself unable to concentrate with her task on hand. She bit her lips in frustration.

I knew I should have tied them up.

Meng Yu placed her brush down, but before she could do anything else, she felt a pair of hand gently pulling her messy hair back.

"Let me help you." She heard Qing Yao's voice from behind her.

Meng Yu paused for a moment, and finally nodded reluctantly. Qing Yao combed her hair with his hand and took off a blue ribbon from his own hair to fasten Meng Yu's hair skillfully.

"Done."

"Thanks," Meng Yu muttered softly as she picked up her brush.

Qing Yao just smiled at her awkward response. "You are welcome," he replied cheerfully before picking up a book and sat at the corner of the room to read quietly. Meng Yu glanced at him surreptitiously from the corner of her eyes.