Chapter 10 - Wanted Criminal

After a while, it rained heavily throughout the night. It was past midnight and Meng Yu was lying on the bed in her night robe, but she could not sleep a wink at all. Her mind was overwhelmed with too many questions. Who were the mysterious people she met today? Zheng Qing Yao is definitely more than what he said he was. She felt that she should really leave the manor but then where should she go? She should at least figure that out if she is really planning to leave.

Suddenly she heard multiple footsteps outside heading toward her room. Not one, but more than ten, she estimated. Some of them were exceptionally light footsteps. From experience, these barely audible footsteps should belong to those highly trained martial artists. She sighed inwardly. Looks like tonight is going to be an extremely long night.

After a moment, there was a soft knock on the door.

"Meng Yu?" Qing Yao's voice called out.

Meng Yu got down from her bed and pushed the door open slightly. She peeked out and saw Qing Yao standing outside with a troubled expression on his face. Behind him was Mu Yin, and further away was a group of strangers wearing intricate dark navy uniform. They looked like royal guards, and there were about ten of them. Meng Yu secretly made a mental note to herself.

"It is so late already. What is the matter?" She asked calmly, without betraying the sense of foreboding she was feeling.

"Meng Yu, these people are the royal guards. They are under instruction to investigate the mansion. They suspect that there is a wanted criminal hiding in the mansion. Can you come out, and let them do their duty?" Qing Yao explained cautiously.

Wanted criminal?

Meng Yu maintained her expressionless facade on the outside as she nodded and replied, "I understand. Please give me a moment to change my clothes."

"Please take your time..." His voice trailed off when a male voice interrupted him out of nowhere.

"Lord Zheng. What is taking so long?" drawled a loud sarcastic voice. Meng Yu's attention was immediately captured by the figure standing in the shadow behind Qing Yao.

He stood out of the shadow. His posture was proud and dignified. He was not wearing uniform but a fine silk black brocade robe with dark crimson red borders decorated with full gold embroidery. A pair of intricate blood jade pendant was hanging on his waist belt, and he held a fan in his left hand. He looked like a nobleman. His eyes were a deep black color, like a bottomless black pit and an arrogant smile was carved on his lips. He was slightly older than Qing Yao, probably in his late twenties, and he emitted an unusual lofty aura. He was smiling, but Meng Yu recognized this kind of smile. It was a very devious and emotionless smile. It was like wearing a mask.

"How weird is it that the owner of the mansion has to ask permission from his servant before he can search his mansion?" The haughty young man expressed his contempt.

Qing Yao furrowed his brow and turned around to face him. Despite his obvious annoyance, his tone remained placid as he replied with proper etiquette.

"Lord Yin, Lady Meng is not my servant. She is my honorable guest, and naturally I should be polite and get the lady's permission first."

Meng Yu studied the mysterious young man cautiously.

Lord Yin?

Lord Yin smiled back politely and replied, "Lord Zheng, you should be aware of the urgency of this matter. If the lady has already agreed to it, please step out immediately, and let us do our job."

Qing Yao was furious as he stepped in front of her door, with his back to her. "She just need a moment to change her robe, if you would just wait a little while more." Qing Yao replied, but the anger in his tone was barely concealable this time. It was the first time Meng Yu saw him getting agitated like this.