Chapter 3 - One Down, One More to Go

Meng Yu studied the person in front her carefully. That person had deep black eyes that will stir one's heart, thick brows that seemed to carve a strong personality, and a luscious red lips that drew attention from people unwittingly, especially how it contrasted with the fair skin of the owner. At one glance, the outlook of this person will give off the perception of a fragile young lady.

Who would have believed it?

Who would have thought about the possibilities?

That was also the sole reason why she was stuck in such a weird circumstance. Looking at the person reflected in the mirror, she could barely recognize the once proud and cold Mo Xing Hong Yu (Scarlet Emperor) whose name itself could instill fear and chaos in the people's heart. The cruel emperor who had once trampled over countless bodies with his hands drenched in the blood of innocent during his eleven years of reign. Looking at that innocent face of hers now, who could have guessed the truth?

Of course, no one would have known that the last Scarlet Emperor was actually a female. After all, she had been living her entire life as a male. In fact, she felt that the only difference between her and any ordinary man out there was that she had a female body. Everything else felt the same. She had lived as a man and died as a man. She had long accepted this fate of hers.

However, it seemed that Heaven had another arrangement for her. Fulfilling her fate to live as a glorious man was not enough. Now she had to begin a new life as an ordinary woman. It was just one lifetime, yet it already felt like an endless dream to Meng Yu.

It had been two weeks since she woke up in this foreign place with partial missing memory of the recent events. She was conflicted at first, because things that she did not plan happened. When she thought she had reached the end of her path, she did not die when she should have. The situation had spiraled out of her control, and for the first time in her life, she was at a loss. Waking up and finding out that when her old identity and life was gone, an opportunity was presented to her to start anew again.

A new name and a new life. Her secret will be buried forever together with the perished empire.

She was not sure about this decision, but she decided to go with the flow first and see what else fate had in stored for her. After all, an ordinary life was too unfamiliar to her.

Meng Yu diverted her thoughts back to her current reality. Still sitting in front of the dressing table, and staring back at her reflection in the small round mirror, she let out a sigh in exasperation. Her gaze landed on her unrestrained long hair.

When was the last time she had tied her own hair? That... she did not remember.

Eyes filled with determination, she tried to tie her hair again and again, but it was obviously a futile attempt when you can only use one hand. Frustrated, she threw the comb on the floor. She took a deep breath and muttered to herself, "You can do this... You can do this..."

Glaring at the comb lying a few steps away from her, she tried to bend down to get it. Her entire body froze up when she felt a sharp stabbing pain in her stomach. Her face turned pale imperceptibly as she took a sharp inward breath.

No good, no good. My wounds are going to tear up again.

Her eyes could only stare helplessly at the comb laying a few steps away from her reach. So far yet so near. Biting her lips in vexation, she decided to give up and straightened her body. Her gaze landed on her bandaged left arm. She was obviously seriously injured in the previous battle, but she seemed to have no recollection on how she broke her left arm. Meng Yu could not be bothered with it now since there were too many unfilled blanks in her memory now. They will come back to her gradually according to Qing Yao, and maybe by that time, she will find out how she had survived in the first place.