Chapter 20 - Yun Shang Xing Yu (Part 1)

The bidding price escalated quickly, thanks to the lady in veil who kept doubling the price ruthlessly. Very soon, the bid rocketed sky high so that no one else dared to compete with the special guest in the second-floor private room. Meng Yu harrumphed coldly as she watched the host on the stage announcing the winner of the bid. Not only her, but the other guests had also noticed the flamboyant bidder who spent lavishly over a mere painting. It seemed like Jing Yun Sheng was determined to obtain this painting. He did not even care if his action attracted too much unwanted attention.

While Meng Yu was deep in her own thoughts, someone else was observing her from the highest floor private room. Hiding behind sheer curtains, he wore an exquisite black mask with his chin resting lightly on his hand. His eyes were shrouded with haze, deep and unreadable, as he carefully studied the lone figure standing at the lowest floor.

"Aiya, I really give up. If I keep competing, I might need to sell a few streets of shops to compensate for my loss today. The mysterious guest on the second floor is truly ruthless." Another young man who was dressed in delicate silk robe joked light-heartedly.

However, seeing the other person who was still in deep thought and completely ignoring him, he coughed lightly in annoyance.

"I say, usually you are not interested in this kind of event, yet today, you insisted on coming along. Now that you are here, you are not even paying attention to the main attraction of the event. What are you thinking?"

The other person finally turned his head to look at his friend. His lips curled upward slightly, revealing a mischievous smile. "En? Who says I am not paying attention? Ren Zhong Yu, just because you lost the bid over your favourite painting, you shouldn't release your dissatisfaction on me."

Finally getting some response, Ren Zhong Yu laughed heartily.

"I guess in the end, I value my money more than a piece of painting."

Ren Zhong Yu was the Yin capital wealthiest merchant. In fact, most of the stores in the capital city was owned by the Ren clan. Despite his young age, he was already an astute businessman, thus after his succession as the clan leader, their business continued to flourish throughout the empire. Despite being born with a silver spoon in the mouth, Ren Zhong Yu had a very carefree and easy-going temperament.

Notwithstanding their polar opposite attitude, the person sitting in front of him was his best friend of many years. They had studied together under the same teacher during their youth.

"You are just too materialistic." Yin He mocked coldly, as he stretched his body lazily.

"Tsk, tsk. My dear friend, can you not be so straightforward? You will hurt my fragile heart." Pursing his lips, Ren Zhong Yu pretended to be hurt by Yin He's sarcasm, but the other party just rolled his eyes at him, before turning his attention back to the lone figure on the lowest floor.

From his seat, he had a very clear view of the ground floor. He perked up slightly like a child being offered his favourite candy when he saw something interesting unfolding right before his eyes.

A group of men was approaching Meng Yu cautiously.

Yin He was not the only one who had noticed these men. Meng Yu herself felt their chilling gazes on her the moment they stepped in. She knew they were coming for her, but she just stood firmly on her spot. Her hand lightly caressed the emblem hanging by her waist.

"Our boss wishes to see you."

Lao Qi said as he surreptitiously glanced at the white swallow emblem hanging on her waist. There was no mistake about it. It was one of the emblems crafted by their Red Lantern Manor and it was given to a rich western merchant by the name of Wu. However, Merchant Wu was supposed to be a rotund man in his late forties. This young lad in front of him was tall and slender and did not have any resemblance to that man at all.