Chapter 2 - Living in an Endless Dream (Part 2)

The wind chime was jingling melodiously in the breezy afternoon. She slowly pushed her heavy eyelids open. Her head was still hurting, and she could feel a hot burning sensation in her stomach, but she did not seem to be bothered by it. Her gaze was fixed on the intricate wind chime hanging outside of the window. She watched it dancing in the wind and listened attentively to the beautiful sound it made. She knew he was sitting beside her, but she did not say anything. He just sat quietly while watching over her patiently. After an exceptionally long moment, he finally asked gently, "How are you feeling?"

There was a long pause before she finally replied, "My head hurts, and my stomach is burning." Her gaze was still fixed on to the wind chime. He smiled gently, as he continued, "You will feel better soon. If the pain gets worse, I can prescribe you with pain killer, but I do not recommend you to use it. Just try to bear with it for a while."

"Are you a physician?" She finally turned her head around and met his gaze. Looking into those gentle eyes, it made one felt calm and relaxed.

"Yes. My name is Zheng Qing Yao."

"Are you the one who saved me?"

Before Qing Yao could reply, Xiao Yun appeared behind him and answered excitedly, "Yes, Master is the one who rescued you from the battlefield. You were heavily injured and had been in coma for almost a month! I am the one who has been taking care of you daily since you arrived here! My name is Xiao Yun!"

"Xiao Yun, don't interrupt Master's conversation with the lady. Go and wait outside." Mu Yin chastised as she walked in with a tray in her hand. Xiao Yun lowered her head in disappointment and pouted, "I just wanted to talk to the lady..."

Qing Yao let out a low laugh as he patted her head tenderly. "When she feels better later, you can talk to her. Now, go outside and play." Xiao Yun nodded reluctantly and walked out of the room. Mu Yin placed the tray down. There was an incense burner on the tray. Qing Yao took the incense burner and placed it near the bed.

"Mu Yin, bring some clean clothes over for the young lady." He instructed.

Mu Yin nodded and excused herself from the room. Qing Yao turned his attention back to the lady and explained, "This incense can help to ease your pain and let you sleep better."

The young lady did not reply him as she studied him quietly. Qing Yao met her gaze, and he understood immediately what was on her mind.

"Don't worry, you are safe here." He said reassuringly to her.

Her eyes searched his suspiciously, as if she did not believe him. She finally spoke, "She says you rescued me from the battlefield, but I don't remember anything."

"Your memory loss is quite a common side effect as you had been in coma for a month." He paused for a moment to study her reaction. "I understand your confusion, but I promise you that no one will hurt you here, so the most important thing now is for you to get better soon. Anything else can be discussed later."

Her eyes remained cold and difficult to read. Seeing her tense reaction, Qing Yao sighed in resignation and began to explain, "I am a royal physician, and I was assigned to assist the Silver Army on that day." The memory of blood splattering and bodies falling lifelessly on the ground flashed briefly in her mind. She remained composed as she continued to listen to Qing Yao's explanation.

"I am not sure if you still remember... The palace was invaded, and the Scarlet Emperor's army was defeated..." He paused for a moment as he watched closely for any changes in her expression, but her eyes remained icy cold. He took a deep breath, and continued, "The Scarlet Emperor had lost his sanity after suffering an utter defeat. He went to his own inner harem and slaughtered everyone including his concubines, maids and servants. After that, he set the palace on fire, and committed suicide. Everything perished in a mystical fire that burnt for three days and three nights before it extinguished by itself miraculously."