Chapter 22 - The Woman in the Portrait

"To daringly intrude my Red Lantern Manor, who do you think you are?"

There were many names that ran through Xia Hei's mind when he asked that question, but not one of it was that particular name.

Yun Shang Xing Yu

It was these four words that came out of her mouth. It did take him by surprise for a moment.

Meng Yu return his provocative look fearlessly. The curve on her lips carried a hint of mirth. Seeing her frivolous expression, it brought out an unspeakable wrath from Xia Hei's heart.

"Do you really expect me to believe such an absurd lie?" Xia Hei growled as he narrowed his eye dangerously at her.

Meng Yu chuckled softly with contempt. Folding her arms leisurely, she replied lazily, "Believe it or not, that is your matter. My intention here today is to retrieve my painting."

Xia Hei sneered in ridicule. When he was not smiling, he was absolutely domineering. However, when he showed such a menacing expression, he looked even more frightening. The ugly scar on his face further brought out the feeling of danger within him.

Nevertheless, the other person continued to act nonchalant, and provoke him by speaking such lies without even blinking his eyes.

Did he take me, Xia Hei as a fool?

At the thought of it, the vein on Xia Hei's forehead bulged dangerously.

"Even if I believe you are Yun Shang Xing Yu, the painting is no longer with me. I think you should be more worried about your own life than that painting of yours right now. The Red Lantern Manor is not a place anyone can simply walk in!"

His words were full of threats.

"There is no need for such animosity. I heard Xia Hei is an astute businessman. Perhaps, I can offer you something valuable in exchange for a good deal?"

Xia Hei lifted his brows. Leaning forward, he spoke with a malicious tone, "Then I hope what you intend to offer is valuable enough to keep your life. If not, I might not even leave you with an intact corpse."

Meng Yu revealed a charming smile as she lazily stretched her neck.

"Don't be impatient, Xia Hei. What I have here would definitely interest you. However, since the painting is no longer with you, then I will have to ask for something else in exchange for this valuable thing."

Xia Hei laughed out in disbelief, as if he had heard a very funny joke.

"Do you really think you still have the power to bargain with me?" He glared at her.

She tilted her head and scrutinized the man in front of him. He seemed to be overly confident. Despite not knowing her level of skill, he still dared to meet her personally. He did not even bring any guards into the room with him. Instead, he let them stand guard outside.

The distance between them were not close, yet not very far either. With her martial art, Meng Yu could easily reach him within three steps. Of course, Xia Hei was not a foolish man. For her to intrude the heavily guarded manor by herself, he must at least had guessed her capabilities. A careful man like him, how could he be so ignorant to meet her privately without any precaution?

Perhaps, he felt that she was not his opponent?

This possibility was very unlikely since he was someone from the far eastern land. She had heard a lot of stories about the eastern land. It was a vast land without monarchy and was resided by nine ethnic tribes. Taking the name from the nine tribes, the land itself was named as Nine Gods Land.