Chapter 29 -True Identity (Part 1)

*Flashback*

The sky was pitch black. The woods that were usually teemed with life and lush greeneries were now covered with a thick blanket of snow. There was no sign of the snowstorm slowing down at all as the wind continued to rage on.

"Kill!"

Amidst the howling wind were the unforgettable sound of battle cries, accompanied by the sound of clashing steels and galloping horses. Red crimson blood was spilt upon the seemingly soft fluffy snow.

"Protect Her Highness!" Someone shouted in the thick of the battle.

An incredibly young and agile lad suddenly rushed over and held onto Meng Yu's wrist tightly. Without warning, he dragged her forcefully with him away from the opponents. Meng Yu struggled, but he was extraordinarily strong.

"Let me go! I said let me go, Guo Jian!" Meng Yu growled at him.

The handsome lad turned to look at her. He was about seventeen years old, but his gaze was fiery and determined as he replied, "No! Your Highness, you must go now! We cannot hold them back any longer!"

Holding back her tears, the still teenager thirteen years old Meng Yu snapped back angrily, "No! I am not leaving without Lie Yun! I must go back to save him!"

The young lad refused to let her go, so she swung her arm away forcefully and shouted at him, "Guo Jian, this is an order!"

Guo Jian whirled around abruptly and held firmly onto her petite shoulder. He stared straight into her eyes. The struggle and pain in his eyes were palpable, but he remained resolute. His words echoed clearly in her ears.

"This is a trap! If I let you go now, you will not make it out alive! I have never disobeyed you, but I have also sworn an oath on my life. You can punish me later, but my sole duty is to protect you, and this is my main priority."

Young Meng Yu could barely hold herself together. Her heart thumped loudly, and her body shivered involuntarily. Before she could say anything, Guo Jian continued to drag her along with him. Behind them, cries of agony tore across the starless night sky.

"She is right there! Chase!"

Arrows kept flying at them, missing them by inches and the sounds of horses galloping toward them were getting louder. Knowing that both of them would not be able to outrun the enemy, Guo Jian slow down decisively.

"Keep running! Don't look back!" Guo Jian shouted, as he pushed her away. Unsheathing the sword from the scabbard, he turned back and ran toward their pursuers instead. Meng Yu opened her mouth, but no sound came out, as she watched the silhouette of the young lad disappeared into the battlefield. She knew Guo Jian was trying to buy her more time to escape. Amidst the chaos, his voice continued to echo in her ears, telling her to keep going.

God damn it!

She cursed in her heart as she tore her eyes away and stumbled forward, blinded by tears.

Move! Don't look back!

The sounds of heavy metal clashing rang loudly behind her. Instinctively, Meng Yu turned to looked over her shoulder. She saw the boy battling against more than five opponents at once. Guo Jian was undeniably one of the best swordmen in Mo Empire, but the situation was not promising. He was completely overwhelmed by the numbers of opponents, but he kept going, putting his life on the line for her. Feeling extremely helpless, tears began pouring out uncontrollably, but she knew there was nothing she could do other than keep running forward.

Deep in her heart, she knew she must not stop. She must not die! Not tonight!

"Argh!" Meng Yu let out a muffled scream as one of the arrows whooshed past her, grazing past her right thigh. She lost her footing and rolled down the slope before slamming onto the cold hard ground with a loud thud.