Chapter 23 - Enemy on a narrow road

Lian Xi was still sitting in the private room and watching the auction when her personal attendant walked up to her and whispered into her ear.

"Fell into the lake?" Lian Xi turned to look at her attendant in disbelief. The attendant quickly nodded in reply.

"Did you see the person?" She asked again.

Shaking her head, the attendant replied, "Not able to. The security was too tight, so I am not able to get close. Should I continue to investigate?"

Lian Xi sneered coldly and shook her head.

"Leave it. We should focus on our mission. Xia Hei is monitoring us closely, so we shouldn't raise too much suspicion."

***

Meng Yu felt like she was swallowed alive as soon as her body hit the cold lake. Darkness enveloped her, and her heart began to pound crazily. Her entire body throbbed in an unbearable pain. She knew she had to get out of the water immediately, but her body would not listen to her.

It was just too cold. Too cold.

She tried to tamp down her anxiety, but her entire body began to spasm uncontrollably.

No, no, no!

She screamed in heart, but her mind and body would not listen.

It was because the sensation was too similar. Too similar to what she felt that very day. The coldness... the darkness... and the helplessness.

Memories flashed through her mind as if it had just happened yesterday.

The water was a lot colder that day. The thirteenth years old her was dressed in a thick fur coat. It was precisely because of that, the weight of the clothes kept pulling her down into the deep cold lake. She did not know how to swim at that time. All she could do was to struggle futilely as she sank deeper. She opened her mouth to scream, but no voice came out. Instead, freezing cold water gushed into her mouth to choke her. Her vision gradually turned black, and pain was the only thing she felt.

She struggled - she clawed at her chest as icy needles stab at her lungs again and again. It was a slow torturous death. Familiar faces began flashing through her mind. People that she would not see again. The smile that unknowingly captured her heart that day. Purple azaleas.

And then, there was no more pain.

She should have died that day.

The darkness that came numbed all the pain and she gladly welcomed it. But she heard her voice. The gentle voice that kept calling her name non-stop. Who? Who is it?

It was as if the other person was afraid that she would fall into a deep slumber forever.

"Xing Yu, Xing Yu!"

Amidst the numbness, she could feel scalding hot tear sliding down her frozen cheek. It awoken her senses. Her body trembled as she fought against the invisible forces that was sucking her into the endless abyss. Even if she wanted to give up, the other person would not let her do so.

She forced her heavy eyelid to open and saw her face. Those beautiful pair of eyes, no matter when, was always filled with absolute warmth for her.

It was Yang Yi. It was her who pulled her back from the gate of Hell that day.

But that day was also the beginning of her cruel fate.

As if something had snapped in her mind, Meng Yu quickly regained her senses.

No... she had come this far. She cannot die just like this!

With unwavering determination, she pushed her entire body to swim upward. One kick. Another kick. And again. Do not stop!