Chapter 24 - Children of the Zheng Clan (Part 1)

"Boss!"

Xia Hei looked up and saw Lao Qi's pale expression as he rushed into the study. He quickly reported his finding to Xia Hei. After hours of fruitless search, they only found traces of blood and a broken arrow, but there was no sign of the woman they were looking for. Xia Hei frowned as he tapped his fingers on the desk in deep contemplation.

"What if... she did not make it?" Lao Qi asked fearfully.

This woman was the one Jing Yun Sheng had been searching for all these whiles. Now that they had found her, they might have accidentally killed her. What should they do if Jing Yun Sheng decided to pursue this matter? The more Lao Qi thought about it, the more restless he felt.

"Don't speak nonsense. She must have been taken away by her accomplices."

Lao Qi looked at Xia Hei with renewed hope. What Xia Hei said was absolutely possible because they did not find her body. The thought of it made him breathed out in relief but then he jumped up anxiously again, as he began to stutter.

"Our, our arrows...!"

Xia Hei raised his hand up impatiently to shut him up. He knew very well what Lao Qi wanted to say. Seeing his grim expression, Lao Qi did not dare to utter any sound anymore. Xia Hei rubbed his temple wearily to dispel the incoming headache, as he said with his eyes closed, "To be able to extract her out from my territory... these people are not that simple. I want you to further investigate this matter. Go through the entire guest list again and see if there is anything suspicious."

"Boss... do you think this could be a trick from Jing Yun Sheng?"

Xia Hei did not reply. Of course, he had thought about this possibility as well. With all these coincidences, how could he not think of this? After all, it was well within Jing Yun Sheng capabilities. Still, he cannot be sure. Why would Jing Yun Sheng do this? What was his motive?

No, it did not make sense at all. Jing Yun Sheng was earnestly seeking for this person. Xia Hei could tell from their interaction. With his current status and power, he would not resort to make a deal with him in the first place if he was not desperate. Who was this woman? Was she really the legendary beauty or had he mistaken her identity?

"Investigate every main clan of the Mo Empire, especially the Yang clan eldest daughter, Yang Yi. If Jing Yun Sheng is really playing us like a fool, then I will definitely make him pay."

***

It was nearing dawn. The sky was still dark, and the streets in the capital city were extremely quiet. At the Silver Sky Mansion, the front gate opened and a servant came out with a broom to begin his daily chores. As he was busy sweeping the dry leaves scattered around the street, the sound of turning wheels gradually grew louder, and attracted his attention. As he looked up, he saw a horse carriage surging toward him at full speed.

He shrieked in alarm and stumbled backward, falling on his back as the driver manage to make a sharp turn, narrowly missing him by a few inches. There was a loud screech followed by a loud thump, before the carriage sped off without even stopping to see if anyone was injured by his careless driving.

The other servants who heard his cries quickly rushed out.

"Blood! Blood! A lot of blood!" One of the maids screamed in horror as soon as she saw the pool of blood on the floor. Mu Yin who heard the commotion also dashed out, and the first thing she saw was a bloody body lying lifelessly on the ground, near the servant who was almost hit by the horse carriage. She immediately went forward to examine the body and was stupefied when she identified that person.