part 4

around an hour later, hershel called marcella into carl's room.

"he's still losing blood faster than we can replace it. and with the swelling in his abdomen, we can't wait any longer, or he's just going to slip away." hershel's words brought tears to marcella's eyes, although she stayed quiet.

lori and rick were devastated.

"now i need to know right now, if you want me to do this, because i think your boy is out of time." hershel admits. "you have to make a choice."

"a choice?" lori practically cries.

"a choice." rick turns to his wife. "you have to tell me what it is."

lori puts a hand on her husbands face as hershel and marcella watch in anticipation. "we do it." she states.

the wife and husband cradle eachother as hershel and marcella prepare the room for surgery.

"okay, hey the corner of the bed. let's get the sheets down/ everybody get the iv bag on the sheet." hershel instructs as patricia comes to help.

they all then move carl onto a metal, operating table.

"rick, lori, you may want to step out." hershel kindly recommends.

marcella then hears the faint noise of a truck approaching, she looks out the window to see shane.

"rick, lori, it's them." she tells them in shock and relief.

"you two stay here." hershel instructs patricia and marcella.

the two women did as told, waiting patiently with an unconscious carl.

marcella carefully placed her hand on the young boy's face. "your gonna be okay carl, we're gonna make sure you are." she mutters down to him.

"we got the respirator." hershel announces as he renters the room.

***

"well?" marcella questioned hershel worriedly as he checked the small boy's pulse, after completing the procedure.

"he's going to make it." hershel confirms, a smile on his face.

marcella whipped the stray tear from her cheek.

"marcella, you should tell his parents." hershel suggested.

"you saved him hershel, you should tell them." marcella smiled up to the older man who nodded in response.

sophia may be still missing, but at least carl is still with us marcella thought to herself.