chupacabra part 1

the next morning, carol and marcella were hanging up washing together. marcella was tired and not a big morning person, yet she enjoyed the conversation with carol and wanted to help out around camp as much as she could.

"can't believe i slept in." a tired lori stated as she approached the two.

"you must've needed it, feeling alright?" carol questioned, as lori immediately began to help out the two other women.

"next time wake me, all right? especially on laundry day." lori asked, marcella took notice of how lori avoided the question.

she wasn't feeling alright, she was feeling the early symptoms of pregnancy.

"we can manage, lori. if you need extra sleep, take it whilst you get the choice." marcella chimed in, trying to reassure the woman that it was okay. marcella knew that lori overworking herself was bad for the baby, especially with all of the stress she was already under.

"i had an idea i wanted to run by you." carol began.

"and what's that?"

"that big kitchen of theirs got me thinking, i wouldn't mind cooking in a real kitchen again. maybe we all pitch in and cook dinner for hershel and his family tonight." carol suggested, growing visibly excited about the idea of cooking in a real kitchen. "kinda looking for this to keep my mind occupied."

as the two continued to discuss carol's idea, marcella stayed quiet, getting lost in memories of trying to learn how to cook.

when her daughter was born, marcella was forced into an unfortunate situation where she was forced to grow up quick. cooking was one of her weaknesses, yet caring for her little girl was one of her strengths.

marcella realised that the 'unfortunate situation' was what caused her to become so independent and therefore what has made her such a capable survivor in the apocalypse.

"you okay, marc?" lori questioned the youngest woman in the three, pulling her out of her deep thoughts.

"what? yeah... sorry, yeah i am." the two other women knew that was a lie, but they decided not to question marcella any further.