part 9

causing the front door of the greene's house to creak loudly, lori, dale and marcella made their ways outside, sharing conversation of concern as they did so.

"this place is going to hell." dale spoke, his voice low in what marcella presumed to be fear for the future of their group.

"i'm trying hard to prevent that." lori responded, a little more lightheartedly.

"well, you won't be able to. no, they're people in this group who think what shane did was justified." dale dismissed the pregnant woman, marcella nodding along briefly.

"i know you two can't stand eachother, but he did something that needed to be done." lori defended shane, causing an anger to grow in the pit of marcella's stomach at the memory of shane trying to rape lori and the confusion on why lori now defended that man.

"you're confusing, lori." marcella chimed in, laughing slightly in spite.

"why?" lori questioned.

"because after all the shit that he did, to you and to everyone else, you still defend him. you still put so much trust into shane. i just don't get it." marcella explained, trying not to come across as too harsh yet failing as the annoyance flooded her words.

lori stared at marcella, an almost unreadable expression on the older woman's face as the three stopped walking. but marcella just about managed to read the expression on lori's slightly wrinkled face; guilt.

after a pause, the tension having grown into a thick smog, marcella huffed out a breath before walking away, her pace fast as she left.

***

most of marcella's afternoon was filled with consoling a worried maggie, taking care of an unresponsive beth and weird, awkward silences between herself and lori.

"her hearts racing, she's burning up, we need hershel." andrea spoke to lori as marcella tended to beth. doing as much as she could for the girl with her medical knowledge.

"she'll be okay for now, marcella knows what she's doing." lori reassured the blonde as she looked over to the girl in question. the brunette who sat checking beth's condition looked back to lori, noticing the apology that somehow was easy to read through her expression.

"she's stable, for now. but we need hershel." marcella announced to the small group.

marcella was scared for beth's health, but she couldn't tell the others that. the young former scientist knew that she had to be brave for everyone else- for beth.