28.)

Rachelle's P.O.V:

Holy shit. There is NO WAY he just said that!

"Oh, he's just kidding. Right Jo?"

My mom's words changed nothing. Dad was a kidder, but he was so good at it that I genuinely had no idea if he was kidding or not.

Garrett's face was as white as paper. He looked like he'd just seen the Devil himself. My dad had that effect on people.

Especially guys I brought home.

"Dad, it's wasn't like that. We slept in sep—" I started, but was quickly cut off.

"I know, honey! I'm kidding" he said with a smile.

"Geez, Dad. I can't even with you" I said wiping fake sweat from my forehead. Well, it wasn't that fake. It was faint, but not fake.

"I'm sorry bud. I'm just bustin' your chops" my dad said slapping his arm in a friendly way.

"Oh... ha ha. Good one, Mr. Smith" he said sounding terrified.

"I think it's a little early for those kinds of jokes Dad..." I said while walking over to Garrett.

"Maybe you're right, but I couldn't handle not doing it. It was just too good of an opportunity to pass up" my dad said, chuckling to himself.

"Right" I said dragging out the "i".

My mom escorted us into the living room, having us sit down to talk.

***

We'd talked for hours. We talked about my childhood, my parents bringing out horrendous pictures of me. We talked about church, faith, our interests, Garrett's hometown, everything. Really, truly, everything.

We'd eaten lunch and it was now time to bring our stuff in. Garrett and Dad went out to get the bags, giving my mom a chance to talk with me privately.

"You really like him, don't you" she asked seriously.

"Uh... ya. Yes. I— I do."

It was hard to admit it out loud. Obviously I cared about Garrett. I clearly liked him, otherwise he wouldn't have met my parents, but it was still hard to admit.

"What's with the stutter" my mom asked with a confused look.

"I don't know... I just..." I sighed heavily.

This wasn't easy to explain.

"I'm just kinda waiting for something to go wrong" I said honestly.

"What? Why would you want that?"

"No! I don't want something bad to happen, but I'm just waiting for something bad to happen" I explained.

"Why on earth would you wanna worry like that" she asked.

"I don't want to Mom. It just happens. Every time I think something is going good, it ends" I answered sadly.

"I don't want anything bad to happen, but I'm super scared to fully give myself to him because I've seen what... that... does to people" I continued.

"What do you mean 'that'" she asked using air quotations.

"You know... love" I whispered the L-word.

"But you said that you guys say it" she said.

"Yes, but I already told him I meant it in a friendly way."