31.)

Rachelle's P.O.V:

"Dad? Can I talk to you?"

I felt bad about last night. He was just trying to be there for me and I pushed him out. I wanted my boyfriend over him. I felt better about what I did last night, but now I felt like literal dog poop.

"What's up honey" he asked walking into the living room where I sat on the couch.

"Can you sit with me" I asked sweetly.

"Of course! What's up?"

"Can you hold me" I asked.

He looked at me with a sweet smile before grabbing me into a tight cuddle.

My dad was very affectionate with me growing up. My brothers and sister weren't as affectionate, but my dad and I always clicked because our love language was touch.

Whenever I didn't want to talk, or if I couldn't talk, I'd ask him to sit with me and cuddle. He was my safe space. I always went to him when I was down... but last night I betrayed him.

"Dad?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."

"For what" he asked.

"I feel bad for... I'd not know how to say it without it sounding awful..." I said honestly.

"I'm sure it's ok. Just say it" he said brushing my nervousness off.

"I'm sorry for choosing Garrett over you. Well, like— asking for Garrett instead of being content with you" I stuttered out.

"Honey" he said pulling away to look at me.

"I'm not upset about that. I understand that Garrett's been there recently and that's what you've gotten used to. I'm not upset that you don't need me anymore" he said.

"Don't ever say that, Dad!"

He looked shocked at my bold tone.

"I will always need you. I love you to the moon, around it for infinity, and back—"

"I love you too" he interrupted sweetly.

"Last night was a mess. I wasn't thinking clearly" I said.

"Yes. Yes, you were. And that's ok! It's ok honey. You needed Garrett at that moment in time. I'm not upset with you. Roles reversed, I'd want your mom, so it's ok. I understand."

I was so stunned with him. Usually he hated my partners. He'd chased all of them away. Even ones I thought were nice, or ones I'd met in church, he'd run off or tell me they "weren't good for me".

Another thing that shocked me was that he let Garrett stay with me. What the heck was that all about?

"I love you so much, Dad. And thank you for understanding. I just— I want you to know that I still need you. I need you more than you know. I'll never stop needing you. You've been there for me since day one. I know I can count on you Daddy-o."

I laughed lightly at the nickname I still used after all these years.

"Awe, baby. You know I'll always be here when you need me. I don't care if you're 60 years old, you'll always have a place in my arms. I love you" he said pulling me in tightly.

"I love you too, Dad. More than you know."

***

As we waited for dinner to be done, Garrett's words rung in my head.