CHAPERONE

"I thought you'd never make it," Niki slipped, taking advantage of the surrounding din to whisper.

"RER A is a real bitch," Xenia replied. The woman didn't see she caught the intention of someone she shouldn't. The two women stopped talking to listen to Director Everett, who continued his speech.

"Calm down; I know what you think if you are here today, your jobs are not on the line, at least not for now."

Many wondered if it was the British thing or just the new director's way of ending every sentence on a dramatic note.

"We will proceed with an internal audit. Gregory Carlton will spend time in every service. Please do not hesitate to go to him if you have any inquiries. I'm counting on your cooperation. Please fill Gregory in on all things necessary so the audit can be as precise and fair as possible," Wendon pursued. The new director's choice of words reassured no one in the room.

The pad on Wendon's stand vibrated; he peered at the message which appeared, smiled, and continued.

"Also, we've drawn up a small list of people to whom the managers will refer to during this period. These people will also help in integrating new members.

"Charles Leroy will accompany Jalia Pratt.

Claudine Dubois will be Graham Hill's referent and guide.

Igor Sahiri will be with Clemence Dieux."

Wendon carried on enlisting for what seemed like an eternity.

Cassie smiled, expecting to hear her name being number two in the R&D department. The new team member still seated intrigued her; the man lifted his head only once to see Xenia enter the room. Back then, his facial expression showed distaste, which pleased Cassie, who saw a potential ally in him. The man didn't even observe his director during his speech; he noted things on his pad. Instead, he seemed detached, yet he probably was the most attentive person in the room.

"Finally, Xenia N'Diayé will be Gregory Carlton's referent and guide.

Gregory looked up, gathered his belongings, and joined the other managers next to Wendon.

Despite the shock which left Xenia's mouth open, she stood up, "objection," she yelled, pointing to the stage as though it was a trial.

The whole room turned to stare at the woman, who highlighted the meeting from its start.

Cassie rolled her eyes," here we go for a N'Diayé show."

"Eh, hmm—, I mean I'm just a plain business developer— I mean I'm a basic like wholemeal bread employee," Xenia had no arguments.

Even Niki sunk in her seat while she held her hand to her forehead in despair as though she scoped the horizon. Niki could not back up her buddy.

Xenia didn't want this collaboration, which Cassie saw as an opportunity to get on the new directing team's good papers.

"I agree," Cassie said, "Ms. N'Diayé doesn't have the qualifications to give someone insights on Astoria Edmonds, let alone guide them."

Xenia's eyes widened, and her mouth got ready to feed Cassie some of her most violent insults man's ears ever heard when Gregory moved forward and took Wendon's place in front of the stand.

"Plain wholemeal bread employees, as you say, know the back alleys of companies better than the high necks. I will content myself with Mrs. N'Diayi's help in the hope perhaps she will learn what 8:00 AM sharp means in the process."

Heat evaded Xenia's face, and she thanked her chocolate complexion, which camouflaged her blush of embarrassment.

"No, but seriously Mrs. N'Diayé isn't the best you can have," Cassie pursued. The office head had no intention of letting Xenia, of all people, spend eight hours a day with Gregory, from which she flared persuasive authority.

"Ms. Jensen, don't worry, I'll get round to you too, and trust me when I say it's better to be last in line to work with me," Gregory said without a smile or a smirk. His face remained expressionless, sending shivers up the spine of the two women standing.

Cassie was even more surprised to see the man already knew her name and face. Did he memorize everyone? Astoria was enormous. Even Cassie barely knew the titles of the employees working on her floor. Gregory Carlton was someone to keep an eye on during the transition.

"Now that all is said and done, you can all go and deal with your daily business, Vive Astoria, and Vive la France," Wendon said, taking Gregory's place in front of the microphone lifting a fist in the air in a sign of triumph.

A new director who had an odd way with words and his team managers appeared stern; the French employees' feel-good barometer was in their socks.

The new team of experts stepped down from the stage as the meeting hall emptied. The referent employees joined them; Xenia walked to stand before Gregory, who stretched out his hand to shake hers.

"I'm Gregory Carlton. Please don't even think of calling me, Greg. I arrive at work on time, and I expect you to be here before me."

"I'm Xenia N'Diayé; please pronounce my last name correctly, note I don't do overtime, and I'm not a PA."

Who did he think he was? He doesn't' know me, thought Xenia.

Gregory couldn't guess Xenia loathed men, especially those who wanted to boss her about at work. The feminist inside her screamed murder, job or not; she would not bend to this crumpet-eating muppet.

Furious, she didn't notice or indulge herself with his height, his full-bred Union jack accent, or the natural charms which aroused the woman who assisted in the announcement meeting. Xenia turned on her heels and walked away.

Gregory's expression darkened as he realized she beckoned him to follow her.

"This won't do," Gregory muttered.

"Good luck," Jalia whispered in Gregory's ear as she passed him with her referent.

Wendon tapped on his shoulder, "take it easy, beep me if there's anything."

Gregory advanced and walked to join Xenia, who waited in front of the elevator.

They both stepped into the elevator, compressed by the silence, which reigned the opening doors felt like salvation. Xenia sighed as she walked out of the lift while Gregory followed, thinking he had a long day ahead.