THERE

Xenia couldn't shake off the image of Sophia's ring. And later, she stood livid in front of the vending machine, the rock on Sophia's finger kept gleaming in front of her eyes.

Mark never once asked her to get married in almost ten years of relationship. The woman didn't have a significant present testifying their love story apart from Sia. This element hurt Xenia to see Sophia obtain everything in dreamed of having without an effort. What frustrated her, even more was to think she probably financed Sophia's ring.

"You're an idiot, Xenia, the biggest idiot the world has ever carried," she mumbled as she banged her head in slow motion on the machine.

"Are you going to take something?" Asked a familiar voice.

"Gregory."

"Are you okay, Xenia?"

"I could be better."

Why did he ask?

Why was he there?

While Xenia pondered, the man thought The magnet struck once more.

"What was it again, 3,21,42ㅡ?"

Xenia cocked an eyebrow, "2 and 5, how do you remember that?"

"I have an excellent memory," Gregory said. He slotted in the money and tapped on the numbers. The man then bent down, grabbed the snacks, and stuffed them in Xenia's hands.

"What are you apologizing for this time?" Xenia asked.

"I don't know; I think people call it something like cheering someone up."

She had cried Gregory could see it; now they were face to face. Gregory wanted to ask who the woman at the entrance was and what the trouble was. Somehow it seemed inappropriate; they weren't that close. The man didn't have a slight idea of how to qualify their relationship.

Were they becoming friends?

Certainly not; they were colleagues and neighbors.

Where was the line drawn?

Where was the limit of Gregory's intervention?

Something in Gregory told him he would cross any line to get closer to her. Alone, Gregory was a dull compound. When Xenia was around, there was a chemical reaction. The sensation clung to him since Xenia was sick. Standing in front of her, now, the man acknowledged the statement as a fact.

Xenia smiled, "thank you, Gregory."

Gregory slicked his hair back with one hand before replying, "it's nothing."

"I'll be going back to work," Xenia turned and strutted away.

Gregory rubbed his stomach and watched her leave.

Why am I so concerned? Why do I want to get closer to her?

The question became recurrent. Gregory couldn't control the overflow of concern he had for the woman. Xenia filled his thoughts daily for one reason or another. Xenia pulled Gregory into her zone despite his desire to stay away from her. Now he conflicted with himself.

XY XX

Xenia felt stripped. Gregory saw all of her; she might as well walk around naked. She didn't even want to imagine the opinion the man had of her now.

"The snacks are on me, guys," Xenia said as she entered her office.

"Wow, Xenia, you're generous these days. Did you get a bonus we're not aware of because, if I recall, you boycott Astoria's vending machines, saying you can't be giving back your salary to them?"

Xenia smiled nervously; it was right she never slotted more than one euro in them, and right now, she couldn't answer that Gregory sponsored all the snacks. It was weird, the man seemed to be everywhere around her, and she looked like a nutcase every time.

Despite the Sanchez incident, Gregory hadn't revealed anything about the apartment or Sia; he even helped her. Somehow the woman didn't want him to continue seeing her as a loser. If only Gregory could see her as a young, dynamic employee and a sexy single mom.

"Xenia, scratch that. What was that last thought?" She muttered while pounding her head on her desk; she knew it would happen.

Xenia desired Gregory to appreciate her as everyone else did. A part of her wished the man to notice the bright side of her. She debated with her inner self as to why she desired Gregory, of all people, to acknowledge her as a sexy single mom when she had banished all men from her existence.

And there appeared the eyes; the picture of Sophia's engagement ring found itself overshadowed by the vision of Gregory's eyes.

"Damn, damn, damn," Xenia shrieked in despair in front of her computer.

"Wow, I haven't seen Xenia in this state since she worked with Monsieur Carlton," Mariam said.

"Perhaps, Mr. Carlton has something to do with it," Timothy added.

"Or maybe she needs a Tampon," Priscilla added.

"Okay, votes," Mariam said.

"Tampon."

"Tampon."

"Tampon."

"Monsieur Carlton."

"Monsieur Carlton."

"Tampon."

"Okay, four against two, the tampon wins, who is going to give one to her?" Mariam asked.