KNOTTED LIES

On the 50th floor, Xenia had never been so high up in Astoria in all the years she occupied her position.

"Mr. Ashton is expecting you," Xenia wondered how people did. They all appeared to take it well. No one was touched or in shock.

Xenia took a deep breath and opened the door. Gregory stood looking out of the window, turned.

"Xenia."

"Mr. Ashton."

She rehearsed all night to get the perfect and balanced Mr. Ashton out on an expressionless face.

"Please, Xenia," Gregory left the window.

"Stay where you are," Xenia took a step back. She didn't want him close or to have the strength of his aura weigh on her.

"Xenia."

She remained silent.

"Please say something, "Gregory urged, not used to the silent treatment from the lippy woman.

"Who are you?"

"Xenia, you know who I am?"

"I'm sorry, but the man I know is Gregory Carlton, an auditor from London."

"That was me, Xenia."

"And that," Xenia pointed to the name tablet on his desk where the executive president shone brightly.

"It's just a title, Xenia. It doesn't change my fundamental being or alter the feelings I have for you and the affection I have for Sia."

Xenia shook her head, "how can you say this so casually?"

"I can say it because it's true," the man said and advanced while the woman backed away a little more to stand a meter away from the door.

"Gregory, you lied to me during all these months. How could you? I trusted you. How dare you do this to me. I opened my heart to you and youー."

"Xenia, please, it's no big deal. It doesn't change a thing."

"Are you out of your mind, Gregory? You are THE ASHTON III. You are the boss of my bosses, and you say it doesn't change a thing. Oh, my God," Xenia said, grasping her hair. "I've been messing with my boss, like an office hoe."

"It's not what you are."

"But it's how you've made me feel, Gregory, cheap and slutty."

"Don't say that I'm sorry I shouldn't have. I didn't mean toㅡ. It was unexpected. We were unexpected."

"Gregory, are you serious? You amused yourself playing undercover boss. I keep thinking a camera crew is going to pop out and tell me I've been punked. Was it amusing to make fun of other people who have been sincere with you all this time and me? Were you happy playing, oh myー?

"Come on, Xenia, when we met, you had a suitcase full of lies, yet I didn't stop at that."

Xenia shook her head once more, denying the accusation, "you can't compare. We were strangers. Who tells someone they barely know their life's story?"

"Xenia, it's different; you got caught lying. You had no choice."

It was true, Gregory witnessed situations where Xenia's facade crumbled, and the woman couldn't do anything else but reveal herself.

"But we spent time together. I told you everything. I laid everything down and ironed it flat. You had more than one occasion to tell me. You kept quiet; why?"

"I was scared; I got anxious about how you would react."

"So, you weren't planning to tell me?"