GARDENER

"My garden," Mark muttered as he watched Gregory leave the meeting room.

Sophia was pregnant. Mark wasn't ready mentally, but he realized he never would be prepared. The man loved being with Sia; he was proud to have a daughter, contradictory thoughts paced through his mind.

Mark loved Xenia, but she scared him. She was a good girl. The type who didn't drink at the party's to drive the others home. The girl who only had sentimental sex and always there to help. It was he who played dirty with girls. He was a man whore in university.

He and Sophia were alike, both college icons with the same experiences in life. Yet, back then, Ms. Popularity was off-limits. Being with Xenia allowed him to approach the only person Mark saw as his equal. The man used Xenia, and by guilt, he dug his own grave, promising her a world of wonders he had no intention of giving. Even now, Mark hurt Xenia intentionally to return the spite which consumed him.

Sophia was going to have their baby. She was the woman he loved and for whom he left Xenia for years before. Mark wished to spend his life with Sophia. He couldn't allow their idle to end.

If he lost Sophia, all these sacrifices would be in vain. Mark couldn't let the water run dry in his garden. This time Mark had to do things right; that's what he thought when he signed the papers Gregory gave.

XY XX

Later the same day, someone had an unexpected visitor at their doorstep.

Xenia's eyes became slits, "eh, what are you doing here?"

"I had nowhere to go," Sophia answered.

Xenia believed her, for who in their right mind would ring the doorbell of their fiancee's Ex and former Best friend?

Xenia nodded and crossed her arms, "so you decided to come to your fiancé's baby mommas house? Are you out of your god damn mind?"

"Xenia, please, I have no friends, and I'm pregnant."

"What?"

"I'm pregnant, Xenia, and Mark did what you predicted. You were right, and I was wrong, so can you please let me come inside?"

The supposed ecstasy of seeing Sophia suffer didn't come. Instead, Xenia felt overwhelmed by pity, and so she stepped aside to let Sophia inside.

"Aunt Sophia," Sia said, eyes widening in surprise.

Sophia spread her arms, "Hey, aren't you going to give me a hug?"

The little girl's eyes darted from her mother to Sophia. It was one of life's first dilemmas for Sia.

Should she or should she not hug Sophia in front of her mother? That was the question.

A small nod from Xenia gave the little girl the go-ahead.

In Sia's little arms Sophia sobbed.

Xenia rolled her eyes, "eh, don't tear up on my daughter's pajamas, please."

Sophia let go of Sia, who wandered off to her bedroom, and Xenia came to tuck her in bed.

"Aren't you going to ask?" Sophia asked as Xenia entered the living room with covers, "wait a minute, what are these for?"

"You're sleeping on the couch, don't tell me you imagined I'd give or share my bed with you?" Xenia said as she threw the covers next to Sophia.

"But I'm pregnant."

Xenia crossed her arms, "and some women sleep outside in the cold, and they have healthy babies. If you don't want to, you can rent a room in a hotel. I mean, you have the means. Why are you here, anyway?"