FEAR OF FALLING

Did she and Sia embarrass Gregory?

Xenia pondered through every set. Sia slept through most of it; it was a little too much for the little girl.

Like a novice, Xenia turned her head almost every time the small ball flew. It was hot; she fanned Sia, whose head rested on her lap. Xenia did not notice Gregory's eyes, which did not leave her an instant. The match was a pretext. The man just wished to spend time with his favorite people.

From the VIP lounge, Edith used her binoculars to try to find where Gregory was seated. She zoomed on Gregory's puppy stare; the screenshot was as clear as spring water.

"Goodness gracious, he is with that woman. Wait till Margaret hears this," Edith said. She directly picked her phone to dial, believing it was her duty to inform everyone.

XX XY

"So, how was your first Rolland Garros?" Gregory asked.

"Good," yelled Sia, who only retained the part where she played with other children in a court installed for children's activities.

"It was nice," Xenia said with a frown that seemed engraved.

Gregory fixed her; the man was an expert when it came to Xenia's body language. He could tell something was off, "what's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Come on, Xenia, there's something I can tell from your knotted eyebrows."

Xenia couldn't say; her mother's words rang in her ears.

This man has a secret, and there's a chance it will affect you.

Right now, Xenia was affected by Gregory's odd attitude. The man stressed when he left her to get drinks, the woman he was with raised many questions. The whole episode was weird.

"Let's go and eat," Gregory said.

"I think Sia and I have had enough fun for today. Maybe we should-."

"Xenia, chuck away whatever crazy thought which is racing through your head right now. Whatever it is, it isn't true."

"Are you a telepath now?"

"I know how you work; you are asking yourself too many questions, don't. I'm sorry about Edith, she gossips a lot and knows a lot of people. I didn't want Sia or you to become the subject of a brunch between two crumpets bites. I'm sorry if it seemed suspicious."

They went to eat, and then they stopped at the park where Sia played with her kit before blowing bubbles with Gregory.

The man's perfection still enthralled Xenia. Gregory was smart and patient. Since they were together, Xenia couldn't recall a day where Gregory said no to any of Sia's and her whims. He was stern at work, gentle behind the curtains, and quite a freak under the sheets.

Xenia desired the man to stay; how could she express that without seeming clingy?

Gregory read her; Xenia felt she could rest on him.

Was it an error to do so?

He was the type of man she and many other women searched for; straightforward, he got her back on track when she strayed away. Gregory was all Xenia wanted and all she needed.

The woman wished to believe their story could work. She desired to let go, and being consumed by the feelings which submerged grew daily.

What was holding her back?

Gregory was constant, but it wasn't enough. Xenia didn't know how he felt; Gregory knew how to conceal his feelings. Unlike Xenia, whose face alone told you the stories of her emotions.

The man didn't speak about the future or about how he saw them if he saw them in his future.

Gregory was honest; he made no promises. Perhaps because there was no promise to form, he was there for the time being, and he would go back to his life. This reason was an eventuality and probably the truth behind the man's silence.

They were together for the time being, and that was all.

Brace yourself, Xenia, don't fall too deep, don't.

It was easy to say but a problematic exercise when the man smiled at her as he did then.

Gregory walked up to where Xenia watched Sia play. He grabbed her by the waist and kissed her in a spontaneous gesture.

How could she doubt in a man who swept her of her feet like this?

"Gregory, Sia is here," Xenia tried to push the man away while Gregory tightened his grip around her waist.

"She already saw us in the same bed; I'm sure she knows I'm more than her mother's colleague."

The little girl watched amused; she was at that age when human relationships were fascinating and where love was a concept that freed and saved princesses.

For the little girl, Gregory was the Prince who came to save her mother, and now they would live happily. Sia's smile grew as the idea impacted her mind.

XX XY

"I'm so scared Niki, I swear, I haven't felt like this for a long time."

"It's great, Xenia; this is good for you. See, I told you something good would happen. Thank God I'm going to keep my Pinky finger," Niki kissed her pinky.

"Niki, I can't. I don't even know how he feels about me."

Niki rolled her eyes, "Ask him, silly."

"It isn't simple; you don't know Gregory. He isn't the type to compliment or woo you with poetic sentences. You have to read between the lines with him."

Niki widened her eyes, which beamed like headlights, "then what have you read or what have you read so far?"

"I'm not sure; I've got all the signals right. I'm just assuming."

"Ask him, Xenia, you'll be fixed. I heard he finished the audit a while back, and some people are even wondering why he is still here. Gregory and Jalia are the only ones who aren't Astoria permanent staff. I think he's staying for you, Xenia, but I Imagine the man can't stay for long, so ask him."

"You know me, Niki, I'll get nervous and say everything backward."

"It won't happen; be straightforward. Say hey, Gregory, what do you think about us? Or go for a do you love me? We're in the 21st century; we've got no time to beat around the bush.

"It's too blunt; it won't work. What I'm I going to do, Niki? I think I've fallen in love with him; I'm terrified.