RICH MAN'S WORLD

The sentence was her exit; the words usually appeased Gregory, but this time Xenia heard a hint of frustration in his voice as he said," it's late; I have a meeting tomorrow at 8 AM."

Gregory's demanding position weighed on Xenia too. Having read all the CEO romance novels, Xenia imagined the man had leisure time, but it was the contrary Gregory worked more than everyone. He could wake up at 3 AM to do simulations on his laptop.

When she asked him to take a break, he would say, "it's not just about my money; it's about people's livelihoods. Behind all the subsidiaries and acquisitions, there are men and women whose lives depend on my decision."

And so Gregory worked for everyone's sake. Xenia thought Sia and her were too much for the man who fell asleep in the theater when the lights went out. Gregory was tired, and Xenia didn't want to be a burden.

"Okay, bonne nuit, mon amour."

"Bonne Nuit."

XY XX

"Niki, what should I do?"

Niki sighed every week she found herself giving Xenia pep talks, but this time she threw down her coach towel, "you don't deserve the man; Gregory is heaven-sent. I swear you must be the only woman turning her back on her Cinderella story. I'll be honest with you, Xenia, I think you are selfish. Think of Sia she needs stability. And how about Gregory, don't you think your indecision is adding to his stress. Gosh, Xenia, didn't we have this conversation like three days ago."

"Niki, but what ifㅡ."

"Yeah, yeah, what if you could redo the world with what if, but what if nothing, Xe, what if you just live happily ever after and die at age 101 holding each other's hands like in The Notebook.

Xenia's eyes shimmered, "that would be beautiful."

"You see, think positive. The man's almost forty; if you're not going to marry him, live with him at least. If you have some nostalgia, you can sleep in the room across from his and pretend he's your neighbor," Niki said, giving her signature blue laser beam stare.

"That's not funny. Are you taking me for a dunce?"

Niki pinched Xenia's nose, "well, you are acting like one, so yeah."

Xenia sucked her teeth.

"Eh, Xe, I can do that too, remember."

Truth hurts, but that's what Xenia needed. Still, she had not made up her mind.

"I should look for a job in London?"

"Why don't you ask Gregory?

"You see, that too bothers me; I don't want to lean on him. Like my lover is wealthy, he'll find me a job and buy me a condo."

Niki looked at the Starbucks ceiling in wonder, "God, how I wish I could say that."

"He's rich, but I don't want to rely on it as I did with Andrew. I mean, I accepted everything Andrew gave me only to deceive him in the end."

"By the way, what did you do with all the Cartier Andrew bought you?"

"I sent it back."

"Xe, no."

"Come on, Niki; you see me wearing those and Gregory asking me where did they come from? And me answering. Oh, remember Andrew, my ex-fiancé, well, I kept these as a memento to piss you off."

Niki banged her fists on the table, "oh, Xenia, how I miss your scratching but doesn't Gregory play up Prince charming?"

"Trust me, Gregory is stingy; he doesn't throw his money about without thorough analysis. You would be surprised you'd think he was at war with his fortune."