AFTERMATH

Xenia could read all the rage in the man's eyes; he had never been this angry. Unable to contain himself and fearing to say something he might regret, Gregory left the room, slamming the door.

Yes, making it to the 3rd year was the hardest. Gregory was irritable and impatient. His relationship with Xenia preoccupied him; they were at a checkpoint where the man needed their status, to be precise. He hated considering himself or Xenia as a simple boyfriend and girlfriend or thinking Sia and Xenia were mere guests in his house.

It was true when Gregory was undercover in Astoria; the man had Nothing planned. Gregory didn't think about the evolution of the relationship until he was too deep in love. At that time, Gregory just wanted to see how far they would go, and now he desired them to go all the way.

Xenia was a hand full, there was no limit to her craziness, and he loved it even if sometimes he questioned his sanity. Gregory refused to accept that Xenia was willing to close the doors on their happiness this way.

XX XY

The next morning's breakfast was silent. Gregory didn't even look at the woman he left to sleep alone in his master bedroom.

"Maman, je peux avoir un autre croissant."

"Oui."

"Mom, can we go and see Aunty Grace's baby today."

Xenia frowned, "why do you want to see Helena?"

"I love babies; they are cute," Sia said.

"Since when do you like babies?" Xenia asked.

Sia shrugged, "I've always liked them. Almost all my friends at school have brothers or sisters."

"Sia, aimerais-tu avoir un frère ou une soeur? [would you like a brother or a sister?]" Gregory asked, taking advantage of the momentum of the conversation to get some honest answers.

"J'aimerais une soeur, non, un frère, non les deux."[ i'd like a sister, non a brother, no, both.]

"Je vois," [I see] Gregory smiled.

Last night's anger still lingered, but the little girl's answer appeased the man's sentiment.

Xenia toyed with her coffee before taking Sia to get ready. Never would she have imagined Sia wished to have siblings. Sia already had a brother on Mark's side.

Did Sia really desire Xenia to have other children?

Gregory got ready to meet with a client from Ireland and left without saying a word to his lover. This time there were no long kisses on the mansion's doorstep or kinky promises in each other's ears for the upcoming night.

XX XY

Left alone with Sia, Xenia's mind raced. She needed air lots of it.

"Mom, what are you doing?" Sia asked as she watched her mom packing her belongings.

"We are going home, Sia."

"But we were supposed to stay here at the weekend."

Xenia sighed; she hated lying, but she didn't have enough will to face Gregory again, "I'm feeling well; I need to go home, okay."

"But we didn't say goodbye to Gregory."

"It's okay, Sia; Gregory won't mind."

Xenia imagined the man furious, both ashamed and afraid she preferred to retreat to Paris. This was also one reason she opted for this chacun chez soi [Each in their own home] deal. In a situation like the one, she lived all she had to do was take a flight back to either reflect or rest.

Mark taught Xenia this; he would slam the door on their problems and reflect somewhere else. The only difference was the man comforted himself in Sophia's arms.

Xenia now tested the Mark method; she didn't mind arguing with Gregory. They bickered about anything but this time; things weren't the same.

It wasn't a petty argument about which movie to see or delaying one's flight.

Xenia knew the clash could mean the end of her idle as the subject was not one Gregory would let go of quickly.

XX XY

Gregory multiplied meetings didn't have time to check his phone; it was only in the afternoon he got a call from the mansion and saw the message on his phone, which made him chuck the device. The screen smashed with the impact. Gregory asked his PA to bring him one of his spare phones and sat down to re-read the message behind the shattered glass.

JE RENTRE CHEZ MOI. [I'm going back to my place]

Xenia was still an Olympic medallist when it came to running away.

Yes, he was angry, but she didn't need to leave.

"Darn woman, argh," he shrieked in frustration.

Gregory took a glance at his wristwatch. Apart from him wanted to run after her, but his pride raised the barrier.

Once again, Gregory wondered what was so hard about his request.

Didn't Xenia envision anything with him?

The man couldn't understand Xenia's reasoning, which he found absurd and childish. Gregory thought Xenia trusted him enough to know he didn't ask for something; he would take full responsibility.

Sia was alive and well. Mother and child were inseparable. Their happiness made Gregory think Xenia was a happy mother.

Why did she refuse so violently? It didn't make sense.

No, he wouldn't go to her; Xenia was wrong. Gregory thought himself spotless of reproach. If she couldn't reconsider her position, there was no point in going further in this relationship. His resolve scared him. Still, Gregory saw no other solution.