HARDBALL

Xenia left and went straight to the toilets. Cassie returned as she saw Xenia's silhouette pass the open office door and found Gregory staring out the window.

"So, what did our wild horse do this time, is she fired?"

"You knew, didn't you?" Gregory turned to face her. "That's why you didn't object like you usually do when I chose her."

"Oh, of course, I knew. I've been dealing with Sanchez for the last two years. The man is a sexist pig, so what was it?"

"She walked out on the meeting after telling Sanchez he didn't own her, and she won't bow down to no sexist dog."

Cassie chuckled and stopped to wipe away the tears that threatened to spill in the euphoria, "Good Lord, I would if given anything to see that. So should I see Francis for our contract with-."

"No, we won't be working with the SOLAS lab anymore. We got a report confirming they tested the medicine and gave placebos to sick children in the favelas."

"Holy shit. Wait a minute, when did you get the report?"

"Yesterday morning," Gregory replied.

"You mean, you knew when you decided to take Xenia. You had no intention of renewing their contract since you foresaw the scandal. So to not be associated, you created the Xenia gate. You used her for Astoria. I was right; you are a frightening man, Mr. Carlton."

Yes, Gregory had done it for Astoria, but something bothered him. The discussion replayed in his mind. Not all he said was related to work. He had attacked her in her personal life, and that was out of order.

Why did he say all those things?

Also, Gregory didn't think Sanchez would have allowed himself such a gesture. Even he wanted to jolt out of his chair to give Sanchez an excellent old fashioned punch when the sound effect of the spanking fanned his ears. Still, he didn't, and now guilt hit hard.

XY XX

Xenia had shed a few tears of frustration when Cassie walked into the toilets to touch up her lipstick.

"Want a tissue?" Cassie asked.

"If you are here to mock me."

"Oh, no good gracious, Xenia, I have some morals. I won't strike a wounded horse. I like my enemies to be in good condition. You saw a little roughness, didn't you, buckle up girl," Cassie said and left.

Did Cassie encourage her or warn her?

Xenia didn't have the strength to analyze. Now the only person she had in mind was Gregory, never had she despised someone as she did him.

XY XX

Wendon robbed his eyes, fatigued by his friend's movements, "Gregory, stop pacing."

For the last half hour, Gregory went back and forth in Wendon's office like a fugitive waiting for trial.

Gregory stopped, "she just made me so furious."

"Did youㅡ?"

"Yes, I already called the lawyers, if Xenia decides to deposit complaint, and yes, we'll pay."

As always, Gregory prepared for any situation.

"Wow, thank God Jaila wasn't there," Wendon said, swinging back and forth in his chair with his arms crossed over his chest as he pondered.

At that moment, Wendon's office door opened. Jaila waltzed in, walked up to Gregory, she grabbedー.

"His balls, Jaila, please can you let go of the man's bullocks," Wendon pleaded for his friend, who took in small breaths like a woman with contractions to ease the pain as Jaila squeezed.

Jaila ignored Wendon and asked, "so do you like it? How does it feel?"

"Okay, time out, Jaila. I get your point," Gregory said while heaving in and out.

Jaila let go and straightened her shirt before slicking back her hair. Gregory was a friend and her brother in arms. The man was fair, yet here she was disappointed in Gregory's poor judgment of the situation.

"If It's about Xenia, don't you think you're going over the top for a woman you barely know even if you have the hots for her," Gregory bent to recuperate his breath.

"Oh, God, I can't believe I hear this. You told Xenia she should have stayed while a man dispraised women and touched her, and you're giving her a sanction for walking out on a situation where she felt endangered?"

"I was wrong, okay, I admit it. What do you want me to do now?"

"Wendon," Jaila said, waiting for support.

Wendon raised his hands in a defense mode, "don't look at me?"

"Okay, Jaila, you win. I don't want to argue; I'll cancel the sanction; damn, couldn't you use words."

"Actions speak louder than words. You know that better than anyone else," Jaila replied.

"Gregory, do you want me to give you an hour or two to go and see a doctor check if your little soldiers are still operational?" Weston said to lighten the atmosphere, but no one was in a mood for a little laugh for once.