ROLLAND GARROS

Gregory, even if someone else pronounced his name, Xenia turned to verify if he wasn't in the room.

The man she once hated and treated like a nuisance was now an essential of her everyday life. What the woman feared was happening. Xenia began to depend on Gregory, as embarrassing it was to admit.

She even daydreamed.

The emotions, which brought so much happiness, slowly stabbed her.

Gregory almost finished the tasks he came to accomplish in Astoria.

What would become of them once he finished his mission?

Would it be the end of romance in Paris, or would they make round trips on the Eurostar or flights to see each other?

Xenia already experienced this younger. Long-distance relationships sucked. One always ended up forgetting the other, letting life overwhelm them until the counterpart became a vague memory.

Yes, London was four hours away by Eurostar and an hour away by plane, but would they have the will to play the game of going back and forth?

There was Sia too, how would all of it affect the child?

Xenia thought too far ahead; their status needed clarification. They did things like a couple, but were they a couple?

Xenia felt she vexed Gregory when she didn't invite him to the family dinner.

It wasn't intentional; at the time, Xenia thought it would be a bothersome exercise for the man. If Niki didn't put her on the tracks of it, she would have missed the point once again.

How foolish she was, but Gregory, too, was to blame. All he needed to do was reassure her. Even though Xenia had no clue what would put her mind at ease, Xenia expected some kind words.

They were together daily in each other's apartments, along with Sia. Sia loved Gregory; the child immediately adopted him. Gregory was becoming a father figure for the girl. Was this something he wanted?

The thoughts scared Xenia, who didn't want to reboot her mother's life on her own.

Gregory could leave anytime soon. The child wouldn't understand why he was gone. Xenia knew the cycle; her mind kept safe all the explanations her mother used to give.

- He didn't love mommy anymore.

- He loves someone else.

- He was a liar.

- He was a thief.

And finally, he wasn't good enough.

All the blame was on the fleeing boyfriends.

As Xenia wondered how she would explain Gregory's disappearance, she suddenly emphasized with her mother. Those moments must have been embarrassing for Ann-Catherin, who brought home potential fathers who never stayed.

Some ran, unable to take the responsibility of becoming the father of three girls. Ann-Catherin sought too hard, never letting fate do its duty. The woman persisted in all these futile relationships.

Xenia didn't want that. If Gregory wished to leave, the time was now.

XX XY

A day out, it was the last week of May; of course, there was the Rolland Garros tournament. Xenia had never been, though it was close to where she lived.

Gregory loved tennis apparently, and so he invited mother and daughter for the final. The courts were dark with people.

The sunshine was severe, yet it was a perfect day for a family outing, and that's how Sia felt holding both Gregory's and Xenia's hands.

"Sia, don't let go of mommy's hand, okay."

The little girl nodded.

"I'll carry her," Gregory said.

"No, she must use her legs."

"Mommy," said Sia making a pleading face.

"Okay, but Sia, stop taking Gregory for your carriage."

Gregory was about to pick her up when he heard his name. He quickly picked up Sia and began to walk at a fast pace. Xenia was surprised but figured he didn't want to miss the beginning of the match.

"Gregory," the person yelled again. Xenia appeared undisturbed her attitude relived the man who thought of a quick solution to dodge the howling woman who pursued them.

"Here," he placed Sia in Xenia's hands, "go directly to our seats. I'll go and fetch some drinks," Gregory said, breath shortened with panic.

"Gregㅡ."

Xenia stood and watched the man flee before beginning her sentence towards one of the refreshment stands.

XY XX

"Gregory."

"Oh, Edith, fancy seeing you here," Gregory feigned surprise by widening his eyes and tapping on the sides of the woman's shoulders with his hands.

Gregory's gaze settled on Edith's head. The woman wore an extravagant hat as if she was at Wimbledon. All one could see miles around was Edith, and the man hoped Xenia didn't notice.

"I've been calling you for ages, didn't you hear me?" Edith rumbled.

Gregory wanted to say she probably pierced a hole in the ozone layer with her voice but left it out, "ㅡsorry, the reigning cacophony here makes it hard to hear."

"Who did you come with?" Edith asked as she attempted to look over his shoulders, making Gregory shift to block her view.

"A few colleagues from Astoria," Gregory replied while scratching his temple.

"I see, still spying on the companies."

Gregory just grinned, "ㅡeh, Edith, the match is going to begin, so I'llㅡ."

"Oh, hurry along, don't want to be holding you back."

"Thank you, Edith."

As Gregory left, Edith tried to spot who he came within in the crowd without success.

"Colleagues, I'm sure Magaret will be interested to know about this," muttered Edith before going to watch the match from a VIP lounge.

Gregory came back and sat next to Xenia with drinks.

"You were long."

"Sorry, I ran into an acquaintance from London."

At least he isn't hiding it, Xenia thought.

Xenia was perplexed by something that told her Gregory attempted to hide her presence from someone. She stared bluntly at the man causing Gregory to explain further.

"It's one of my mother's friends."

"I see."

The match began, and Xenia watched but was still vexed by what occurred. She did not expect the man to introduce her, but she would have preferred Gregory to be more honest. His behavior made him seem suspicious.