TROUBLEMAKER

"What is it?" Magaret asked Gregory.

They were having lunch at the Ritz Carlton, and Gregory appeared somewhat distracted.

"Things have calmed. I've visited all the companies and subsidiaries. Wendon is doing a good job with Astoria andㅡ."

"Go on, Gregory, what is it you want to ask? You are the king of a flourishing empire, yet you stumble to ask your grandmother a simple question."

"I need a break," Gregory blurted.

"To do what?" The old lady inquired before taking a sip of her tea.

"I'm a lonely king."

The old lady chuckled, "you are one of the most eligible bachelors in the United Kingdom. I don't think you'll have a difficult time finding it. What about the Heinrich girl?"

"I've already found, I know who I desire to be with."

"You're talking about that French woman, aren't you? I thought you were over that."

"As you can see, I'm not, and I need time to find her."

The old woman sunk back into her chair and sighed," you are a stubborn brat. What will you do if I say no?"

"I'll go anyway. I just wanted to notify you."

Magaret cocked an eyebrow, "do you think she is waiting for you?"

"I know Xenia isn't because she thinks I'll never come back for her."

"What if it backfires?"

"I need to know. I'm willing to take the risk."

Magaret sighed, "you are so much like him."

"Don't talk about dad."

"I wasn't referring to him. I was talking about William Ashton I, your grandfather. He had the same determination in his eyes when he came to marry without a penny in his pocket. My mother threw a fit. They disowned me, you know. An aristocratic girl with a middle-class man, we were the talk of the town, but he was brave and smart; he proved them wrong," the older lady smiled as the memories floated to the surface, "you resemble him so much more than your father. So you are still in love with the woman?"

"More than ever."

"Well, well, it won't be easy. The woman has her luggage, her past, her scars, and her child. Are you ready to carry all that?"

The question was irrelevant in Gregory's ears, especially when one weighed the charge the man carried daily. Stress-wise, the man was a rock. Gregory was probably the most liable man a woman could find. He acted on every word he pronounced, and Margaret could only believe him when he said.

"She is my woman; I'll have her the way she is."

"You are a hopeless romantic after all," Margaret said with a smile before taking another sip of her tea.

XY XX

Xenia stood next to Andrew, who held her waist. They greeted the guests, who congratulated Andrew on the museum's architecture and his engagement.

Gregory observed from afar; Xenia was radiant, beautiful an explosion of adjectives fell on his head like confetti. The man had not complimented her enough. If Gregory had the chance, he would rectify that and the rest. There were so many things he didn't do; Xenia didn't even have in her possession a gift from him.

What was he thinking back then?

During these months away from her, he reflected on the relationship they had. Xenia gave her all, but his lie refrained him. Gregory called her a liar when the Sanchez incident occurred, but he was the worst of the two, and now she couldn't forgive him.