UNRAVEL

Magaret Ashton wasn't a woman one could meddle with and get away with it. Gregory had to do something before the older women decided to intervene; Margaret said she was surprised at his behavior.

Gregory never extracted himself from his duties, but this time things weren't simple. He didn't want to leave Xenia, yet he didn't know how to keep her.

"Mr. Ashton, the meeting is about to start."

"I'm coming," Gregory took in a last massive breath as the real work was about to begin.

The notice for the extraordinary board meeting arrived at the end of the day. The executives wondered what other wind of change would hit them at 8 PM. Usually, sessions were in the morning, but Margaret was thorough. He had to clear everything up the same day. Gregory obeyed.

The department heads were surprised to see Wendon leave the director's chair vacant. Whispers began to fill the room as people speculated on his potential eviction. If it were the case, Wendon would have only been in the position for six months.

"Good evening, gentlemen, sorry convoke you at this late hour," Wendon began once seated.

"What is this about?" Mr. Dupont asked.

"As you all know, Astoria Edmonds was incorporated into Ashton&Ashton holdings, and an official take over was not organized at the time. Mr. Ashton usually sees for himself how the company works before elaborating strategies. The time has come to present to you, your boss, and mine," Wendon pursued.

"You mean, Mr. Ashton is in Paris. It's outrageous; you should have the decency of informing us beforehand."

"I'm sorry, gentlemen, I abided by the orders, but rest assured there is no need to panic. You've all met him before.′

The room buzzed.

"It's impossible."

"It is," a familiar voice said from the door, which made all the heads turn. Gregory walked up to the chairman's chair and sat down.

Wendon cleared his throat, "gentleman, let me present to you, Mr. Gregory C. Ashton III."

Gregory glared at Wendon; he hated the pompous title attached to his name. Now, the Ashton III made the French mumble in frustration.

"No kidding," one of the department heads said.

"Thisㅡthis isㅡ, " the whole room was lost for words at the revelation.

"Eh, yes, I'm Gregory C. Ashton, executive president of Ashton&Asthon, and its holdings."

XY XX

Xenia ran; Cassie was hysterical when she called.

How could the Intech file disappear?

This time Xenia wasn't going to take the blame. If it were Cassie's doing again, she would kill her. Wendon, Cassie, and a few other heads waited for her in the Elysee meeting room.

These rooms were for extraordinary meetings; it was the first she was going to assist one. Xenia trembled as she thrust the doorknob while knocking, assured she was fired for sure. It was Wendon who answered.

The full room impressed Xenia; even more, the missing file seemed to have plunged Astoria into a deep crisis. Xenia scanned the faces as she apologized; her gaze stopped on Gregory.

What was he doing at the head of the table?

In front of every head was a little tablet that indicated their names and positions. In front of Gregory, the Executive President shone brightly.

What was going on?

"Mr. Ashton," pursued a manager, "how could you play the undercover boss? What a dreadful thing to do. You took us for fools," the man continued, but Gregory's stare remained locked on Xenia's. The woman still held the door.

"Oh, Xenia, you are here," Cassie brought her out of her thoughts. "You are already acquainted with our president."

"I'm sorry to have bothered you," Xenia closed the door and left. The file, being fired, nothing mattered anymore. All she registered was Gregory was Mr. Ashton, THE ASHTON.

Gregory couldn't leave the meeting room and the furious directors. What he had done was already scandalous. He didn't desire to add more to his plate. Gregory switched his stare on Cassie, who shrugged and smiled slyly.

Gregory turned his gaze to Jaila, who left the room and found Xenia frantically tapping on the lift.

Jalia stretched out her hand to touch Xenia's shoulder, "Xenia."

"No, Jaila, no. Please, don't say a word."

"Listen, Gregory, couldn'tㅡ."

"How could you people do this? Jaila, you knew, this is horrible."

"I'm sorry, Xenia."

"No, Jaila, I don't want to know." The lift arrived, Xenia climbed in, and the doors closed, leaving Jaila stranded in the hall.

Gregory knew from Jaila's expression that everything was over. He carried on the meeting where the managers huffed and puffed all they could before leaving at midnight; the day was long.

"Cassie, please stay a minute," Gregory said as the meeting room emptied. Behind the closed doors, he spoke, "why did you do this, Cassie?"

"Honestly, Gregory, or should I say Mr. Asthon, I did you a favor. I gave you an escape route, I'm the wicked witch, and you can remain charming. What were you going to do to tell her? How do you think she would react? "

"I was going to tell her."

"And then what? You would whisk her away, and you'd live happily ever after? If it worked that way, it would be of public notoriety. Tomorrow Xenia will come to work, pretend you don't exist, and voilà c'est fini her escapade with the boss.

"Both of you will get on with your lives. I wondered why you fascinated me. I've got my answer; we are sort of alike. We are always calculating, like GPS, routes, distances, and exits. What's important is choosing what's best for us. At this moment where you are doubting, I took this liberty for you; you'll thank me later," Cassie gave Gregory a wink.

Gregory chuckled nervously before stopping to say," you are something, Cassie Jensen."

The redhead smiled, "so I've been told."

Gregory knew there was no use calling. The Xenia he knew wouldn't answer. It was also too late to knock on her door. For the first time in an eternity, Gregory slept with the anxiety and the apprehension of the next day.

XY XX

As Cassie predicted the next day, Xenia came to work as if nothing had happened. The office was effervescing.

"Xenia, did you know Gregory is Mr. Ashton?"

"Xenia, Xenia."

"Leave her; she must be under the shook of having called THE BIG BAD BOSS a constipated prick," Mariam said.

Xenia ignored the remarks, sat at her desk, connected to Artiss, and remained on a blank page.

Xenia's desk phone rang. It was Wendon's secretary.

"Okay," Xenia replied and got up.

Everyone in the office watched Xenia leave.

"You think he's going to fire her now?" Priscilla asked.