COINCIDENCE

Colleagues and neighbors, the meeting seemed inevitable. Every day came with its coincidences basket, which Xenia had no choice but to classify in the normality section. Still, when she began bumping into the auditor at the bakery or while she brought her groceries, the situation became a tad bizarre.

"Gregory."

"Xenia, Sia."

"Bonjour, Gregory."

"Bonjour toi," Gregory said as he touched the little girl's cheek.

They were in the cosmetic and hygiene aisle. Gregory held toothpaste, while Xenia had a small basket with fruits, Björg Bioproducts, and picked makeup removal cotton.

They walked to the cash counter together. Xenia stared at Gregory from the corner of her eye; he wasn't in a suit at the same time it was Saturday. The woman's views on the man were biased. She was almost in shock to see him in tapered Lee jeans and a polo.

What captured her attention was his hair wavy patterns and strands that shimmered blonde. Seeing Gregory with his hair slicked back all the time, Xenia didn't even notice the color.

For Gregory, too, Xenia was far from her usual flawless boss lady appearance. No makeup or eyebrows on the fleek. Her eyes showed little signs of fatigue, but her lips captivated with the neutral shimmering gloss. Mom jeans, Parisienne T-shirt, teddy collége Kitsuné, and black Vans Old Skool Xenia looked young. The two twin cornrows of Xenia's hairstyle made Gregory realize how long Xenia's hair was when stretched.

If it won't for Sia calling her mom every two seconds, one could easily mistake Xenia for a college student babysitting. The woman never looked so youthful. Gregory imagined toothless Xenia on her hands and knees, crawling everywhere while he already learned his timetables. They had nothing in common: age, culture, education, life experiences, yet there they were.

Sia, too, looked adorable with her two puffed pigtails, Jean-dress dungarees, and a red turtleneck.

"So, what have you got planned today?" Xenia threw the ball of conversation to his side.

"I've got some work."

"I see."

"And you?" Gregory swung back.

"Sia is seeing her father, and I'm free this afternoon."

"I see."

Xenia was first in the queue to pay.

"20.20 euros, s'il plaît [20;20 please}," the cashier announced.

"Par carte, s'il vous plait [by card, please]."

Xenia paid and went to stand away from the counter. She hesitated on whether or not to wait for Gregory.

No, Xenia, if you leave, he'll think it's rude. On the other hand, if you stay, he'll assume you are clingy.

She turned to leave.

"Mom, aren't we waiting for Gregory?"

"Sia, we didn't come here with him," while Xenia negotiated, Gregory joined them.

"Thank you for waiting; you needn't do so."

Xenia gave a nervous smile, "Sia insisted."

"Thank you, Sia."

The little girl blushed before going to stand on the other side of her mother, leaving Gregory to walk along the other side of Xenia, who wished her daughter would have held in between them.

"So, you'll be alone this afternoon?"

"Yes."

Xenia decided to opt for short answers like the ones Gregory liked to feed her.