THE BET

When Xenia got back to Ann-Catherin's, another typhoon lurked and waited. A silent treatment where Ann-Catherin gave her slitted eyes forced Xenia to confront mom once she tucked Sia in bed.

"What's wrong, mom?"

"Have you seen yourself lately? You look like a ghost. Here eat this," Ann-Catherine gave Xenia a plate of Yassa chicken and rice.

"I'm not hungry."

Xenia found her hunger diminish as she tried to digest the evening's revelations.

"When was the last time you ate?"

Xenia hesitated; she couldn't remember, "I'm fine, mom."

"Fine, look at the gap between your thighs. How many kilograms have you lost?"

"Mom."

"How many?"

"I don't know how much weight I've lost. I'm fine; mom, people say I look like Jordan Dunn."

"You look more like you are friggin doomed. You are a toothpick; look at your reflection, Xenia."

Xenia got up, "mom, what did I do? Why are you attacking me like this?"

Ann-Catherin sighed, "It's what you are not doing?"

"And what's that?"

"Growing up, look at you, you're on your thirties steps, and you think you know it all, but you are a kid, a novice."

"Mom, I don't know what has gotten into you?" Xenia began to walk away. She did not want to argue.

"Go, run like you always do. I don't want you in my house. I'm tired of worrying about you. Xenia, when you don't even have concern for yourself."

"Fine, I'll get an apartment."

"You are so selfish, Xenia. Weren't you the one who told me in your living room that Gregory was a good man? You were lost, crying over Mark; God replied to your prayers, and what are you doing? You are screwing everything up. I thought you didn't want to end up like me."

Xenia came back to face her mother, "I will not end up like you."

"But you are walking up the same road," Ann Catherin said, accompanying her words with the hand signalization. "Remember, Mr. Micheals. What was it you said to me when he left me? Oh, you are a bad person, that's why Mr. Micheals is gone. You loved that man like he was your father, and that man loved me."

Ann-Catherin lifted her gaze to the ceiling, "God knows how many times that man asked me to marry him. But I would call him a liar daily because before him; I had a crook who twisted my psyché to the point I didn't know the black pearl I had. Now, look at you. Your daughter is head over heels about Ko Phi Phi. She doesn't even talk about her father and you-."

"Eh, who's Ko Phi Phi?

"The English fella you've been with for the last two something years."

"Oh, what? Why are you bringing up Gregory?"

"Because you are sinking, Xenia, and I wouldn't be bringing this up if Sia wasn't is affected by it. First, you introduced Jeju Island."

"Andrew."

"Jeju."

"Whatever," Xenia said, surrendering.

"Now it's Ko Phi Phi."

"Why is Gregory a bay in Thailand?"

"Xenia, don't pretend you've never noticed those eyes?"

Xenia grinned and nodded in approval, "I know, right, aren't they to die for, wait a minute, when did you get to stare at Gregory?"