BIRTHS

Now Gregory paced in front of the operating block as he waited.

Sia was drowsy with sleep, yet every time she tilted to one side on her seat, she opened her eyes only to close them again. Gregory, who worried about Xenia and the twins, remembered the little girl. He went to sit next to Sia, letting her rest her head.

"Are the babies and mom alright?" Sia mumbled in her sleep.

"They'll be okay, Sia."

The minutes that passed didn't reassure the man who couldn't get up to pace as Sia's head now rested on his lap. All Gregory could do was wait and pray. Until now, his relationship with God was long distance. Like many, it was in his desperate hour that the man wished he could have a direct line," please, God, I'll do anything, I'll give up anything, please," the man mumbled it seemed time slowed down to torture him.

When suddenly the doors opened, "congratulations, Mr. Ashton, you are as of now the father of two."

Gregory woke Sia and got up, "how's Xenia? Is she okay?"

"Ms. N'Diayé is doing well, Mr. Ashton, she's in the recovery room. You'll be able to see her in an hour, but you can go and see the babies in the nursery."

Gregory turned to look at Sia, who was now fully alert, "do you want to see your little brother and sister?"

Sia nodded, and off they went to discover the twins.

Even in their identical beds, Gregory knew which were theirs, their light brown hair stuck out from their bonnets, and they already mirrored each other's gestures.

They were dressed and transferred to Xenia's room. The Vip room was huge and resembled a mini apartment with a corner that seemed like a living room with its sofa, table, and flat Samsung TV.

Xenia was now part of the privileged women who didn't need to share her room and participate in all the visits her roommate would have.

In her private room, Xenia could rest and benefit from all the attention of her family and friends, who were all on their way to congratulate the parents.

No, Gregory wasn't Mark, and the birth of her twins wasn't like Sia's.

Xenia opened her eyes to a scene she wouldn't forget as long as she lived. She silently watched Gregory pace with their son, "you had a hard time, little feller, didn't you?"

Their daughter began to cry, showing the first signs of sibling jealousy.

Xenia's eyes swept the room, Sia exhausted now slept on the spare bed.

"Don't cry. I'm here for you too," Gregory said as he caressed his daughter's head.

"I hope you are here for me too," Xenia said, making Gregory turn.

"Xenia, you're awake," the man laid his son down and pulled the baby's incubators close to her.

Tears rolled down Xenia's eyes as she realized she was the mother of three, "Gregory."

Xenia wasn't the only one crying. It was the second time she saw her man in this predicament. The first was when Gregory found out she was pregnant, jamais deux sans trois, say the French. Xenia wondered when and where the man would shed the third tear. She hoped it would be for a happy occasion like the one she lived.

"Je t'aime, Xenia, merci d'être la mère de nos enfants," Gregory deposited a kiss on Xenia's forehead. Xenia's breath shortened once again; Gregory pronounced the unknown as he thanked her for being the mother of their children. Where most men saw the deed as normality, Gregory knew better than anyone what precious and priceless gifts he received.

The buzz of Gregory's phone interrupted the moment as messages congratulating them arrived.

Gregory switched off his phone. Not that he didn't appreciate the gesture, but it was their moment. The man didn't wish anyone or anything to disturb them.

Though the fatigue was prominent, Xenia wanted to hold the twins. Gregory gently took them and placed each of them in their mother's arms.

"I can't believe it."

"Neither can I," Gregory replied as all the episodes of their love series played up till this present scene.

"Gregory, will you marry me?"

The man had asked Xenia the question a thousand times; now, Xenia wished to show she desired the union as much as he did.

The man blushed at the odd question, which had an obvious answer.

"Yes, forever, and always."

Sam Smith-Make it to me.