The KEEPER

"Xenia, please don't be like this. What happened?"

"Sia," was all she said.

Gregory stretched his hand out to look at his watch. It was almost time to pick the little girl up.

"Do you want me to go and get her?"

"You can't do that; you don't have the authorization," Xenia answered.

"Write me a note; I'll bring Sia home. You can't go there in the state you're in right now."

Gregory took out a pen and paper he wrote, and Xenia just signed, giving him her identity card as proof.

"Okay, Xenia, I'm picking Sia up, and I'm coming back, but she can't find you like this. You'll scare her. Please, try to calm down for her sake."

XY XX

Gregory left; he had accompanied Xenia once and remembered how to get to the child's kindergarten. The little girl was surprised to see him, but she was happy.

"Hi, Sia."

"Hello, where is my mom?"

"Your mommy isn't feeling well. She told me to come and get you. Is that alright with you?"

Sia nodded; she wasn't a complicated child, Gregory thought compared to his nephews, who were little demons.

"How was school?"

"I hate school."

"Why?"

"There is this boy who is always pulling my hair."

"Maybe he likes you," Gregory said, thinking of the moment in Astoria's lift where he was two seconds away from tugging on her mother's hair.

"I don't like him. He has a face full of freckles," Sia scrunched up her nose.

Gregory laughed," what's wrong with freckles?

Sia shrugged.

Gregory looked at his watch; it was almost four and tea time. He didn't know much about the French habits concerning teatime, but he thought he could treat Sia to some cake.

"Sia, do you want some cake?"

"Yeah," yelled the little girl.

Gregory took Sia to Kayser, a well known French bakery branch. They chose a table and sat down to eat.

"Is it good?" Gregory asked as Sia bite the strawberry cake.

The little girl nodded.

"Tu l'aimes n'est-ce-pas, ma maman? [You love my mom don't you?]" Sia said out of the blue.

Gregory smiled, "tu penses? [Do you think so]"

"Je pense que tu l'aimes. [ I think you love her.]"

"Sssh, c'est un secret, [it's a secret]" Gregory gave Sia a wink. Children have a knack for these things, he thought, as he reflected on the question. He realized he answered without an ounce of hesitation.

He seemed to be more in phase with his emotions than he imagined, or perhaps he just could not lie to a child.

XY XX

They finished and headed to the apartment hand in hand. Gregory found Xenia pacing, "where were you? I was worried, sick."

"Calm down; we agreed I'd pick Sia up, remember?"

Xenia paused, "ah, sorry."

It was as though the woman was temporarily insane.

Gregory couldn't take it anymore, but he didn't want to say something which would alarm Sia. The little girl ran to her mother at that instant, "are you okay, Sia?"

"Yes, Gregory bought me a cake. It was nice."

"It was?"

Sia nodded before running to traumatize Oasis, who sat close. The cat had a hard knock life with Sia, who still didn't realize her strength. The cat let her do. There were worse things in life than being hugged to death by a mistress who loved her.

Gregory waited to make sure the little girl's ears could not hear before saving, "Xenia, now tell me what's going on?"

"It has nothing to do with you."

"You are wailing your eyes out, you're disorientated, and you can't work. It has everything to do with me."

The woman shrugged, "I'll be fine."

"You are not fine, Xenia, tell me," Gregory grabbed on to her shoulders.

Xenia shrugged off the man's arms, "It's none of your business."

A part of her felt guilty for being with Gregory. If they weren't together, Mark wouldn't have gone out of his way to hurt her, Xenia thought.

Gregory was shocked at Xenia's reply. It was none of his business, she said.

How could seeing someone he cared for breakdown be none of his business?

Xenia was shutting him out, and it made Gregory furious, "fine, Xenia, have it your way," he retorted and headed to the corridor. The man estimated he had done his duty. He tried to support her the best way he could, and she could not blame him for that at least. During all these hours, Gregory carried the anxiety of not knowing what Xenia was going through. He detested very instant, which left him hopeless. There was nothing worse for the man than not being able to relieve the pain of someone who counted when they needed it.

Once outside, Gregory immediately regretted his gesture. Xenia wasn't in her right state of mind. Walking out on her was wrong. He was a proud man, but not the type to let it take over his logic. Gregory rang the doorbell, and the door flew open at the same time.

"It's Mark; he wants to take my baby," Xenia said while massive tears rolled down her eyes.

Gregory approached and caressed her cheek. He understood better than anyone how difficult it was for the woman to trust another man when the one who came before ripped her heart apart. His mother was a perfect example of a woman who lost her sanity for a man.

"Don't cry, Xenia, I'm here, I'm with you," Gregory took her in his arms. Xenia clung to him; her whole body quivered; there was no calming her.

"Xenia, I'm here. We'll find a solution," Gregory repeated.

Everyone saw Xenia like a panther, ready to jump on her prey, but Gregory knew how fragile she was. All the man desired to do was protect Xenia and Sia from grief. And he would crush anyone who had the slightest intent to harm them.