REASONS WHY

Hours later, Gregory walked into George V hotel on the famous avenue of the same name and went to the lounge where she awaited her many apprehensions.

The woman's call was unexpected, and when she said she was in Paris, Gregory sweated cold. No one messed with Gregory; Xenia was the first person to ever play with the fire of his moods. One could say the man was fearless, but there was someone with who Gregory never crossed swords and who he respected more than his parents.

"Madame Ashton, Monsieur est arrivé [Mrs. Ashton he has arrived].

The old lady turned, "Gregory."

"Grandmother," Gregory replied as he hugged her. "You needn't come yourself."

"I wanted to see you, and the French capital is always a delight."

"How have you been?" Gregory asked as he sat down.

"Good, I think you'll still have me around for a while. At least I'll try to hang on till I see my grandchildren," the old lady said before letting her smile turn grim, "Gregory."

"Yes."

"What are you playing? When you told me you wanted to visit and clean this company before adding it to our acquisitions, you said it would be short. This meant one to two months, and here we are in June. What's going on? Wendon can manage alone."

Gregory cleared his throat, "I've got a few things to clear up,"

"Is it that woman, Xenia N'Diayé?"

Gregory furrowed his brows at inquisition that made wrinkles appear on his forehead.

"What, did you think I wouldn't look to find out why my uncompromising grandson is acting up? Plus, you have people like Edith Braxton, whose mouth is The Sun, and the Daily Mirror's headquarters catching you."

"Grandmother, Iㅡ."

"It's not against the law, but I thought you knew better and that you weren't like your father, who loved to play hanky panky games with his secretaries and assistants."

"I'm not messing around."

"Come on, Gregory, what do you count on doing? You aren't planning a future with a single mother who is your employee at that, and play some old fashion whirlwind romantic comedy, are you? Leave Astoria to Wendon and get back to the important things. Women, there is plenty in the sea and of better pedigree."

"Xenia isn't just any woman," Gregory replied. He couldn't retaliate more violently in respect of a woman who was the face of an empire.

"This woman will not bring you anything. She isn't beneficial for Ashton&Ashton. She has no money or influence. I know commoners are trendy since Megan, but still, you're smarter than that."

"Xenia is beneficial for me; she matters for me. And what's this about trends? She isn't some luxury handbag."

"Good God, you're in love with her, aren't you?" The older woman asked while she stared into her grandson's eyes, which were the same azure blue as hers.

"Yes."

It was the second time Gregory answered positively to the question in his whole life with the conviction that what he said was true.

"Does she know who you are?"

"She doesn't."

"Then tell her," said the old lady getting up. "Since you've gone this far, might as well find out if you've both sunk to the same level, but let me tell you this, Gregory. There are no small lies on earth. Love doesn't solve everything. You might be surprised by her reaction. Not all women dream of Princes and world exposure. Tell her the truth and brace yourself," said the woman sighing.

Margaret Ashton didn't need to intervene; furthermore, she foresaw the outcome. If the woman was as her spies told her, Gregory was going to face the most significant backlash his heart had ever experienced. The old lady estimated it was necessary to get him back to his usual rational self.

How was Gregory to tell Xenia?

The question tortured him.

Where some people thought it would not be a big deal; the information he withheld about himself always harmed his relationships. Some women fled the pressure of his status while others conspired to sit on his richness. Gregory was allergic to the sentiment of love that found itself twisted by the sound of gold coins.

Unlike Xenia thought, Gregory wasn't unconscious of the consequences of their relationship.

For Gregory stopped playing from the very first time he kissed her.