ROSES

Mark waited and prayed for this moment all his life. He worked hard, and it was time for him to reap the fruits of his efforts. In front of his mirror, he mimicked facial expressions and handshakes.

"Mark, what's this?"

Mark turned to see what Sophia held and pursued to tie a knot in his necktie, "It's Sia's custody hearing."

"Don't tell me you did it?"

"We already talked about this; I said I'd do it."

Sophia stumped to his position and shook the papers in front of him, "Mark, you can't do this to Xenia."

"Why? I thought you understood me and that you were okay with this."

"I was, but you can't do this, not now."

Sophia chucked the papers on the table where she sat down and grasped her head with both hands.

"Why not now?" Mark approached. His fiancée's reaction was odd. The man believed he had her support, and now Sophia seemed to back down, "why not now, babe?"

"I'm pregnant, Mark," Sophia replied bluntly while her eyes roamed upon the custody papers. A short silence followed her remark before Mark revived.

"Sophia, we discussed this. I told you after the wedding and the Nova lab contract."

Sophia got up, "Mark, it's not something I control."

"I can't believe it. I'm not ready for this."

"Mark, what do you mean by you're not ready?" Sophia stared at the man as if she saw him for the first time," oh God, Xenia was right; you're a selfish, senseless fart."

Sophia headed to their bedroom and gathered a few clothes, which she shoved into her in her Monogram Keepall sixty travel bag.

"What are you doing?" Mark followed her.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm leaving."

Mark grasped her by the shoulders, "you can't, Sophia."

"I can't, you say, you are telling me you don't want a baby now, and I can't leave," Sophia shrugged off his hands.

"It's not that I don't want it, just it's not what I planned. Just wait a few months. I'll have the Nova Lab contract."

"Mark, what does it change whether it's now or in a few months? Why are you so methodical? You treat life and people as if there were stages to respect. Life doesn't have a manual; you just live it, Mark."

"Sophia, please don't leave."

"I need time to think, let go of my hand."

Sophia slipped on her Tory Burch ballerinas and left.

Mark didn't stay to ponder; he had another imperative.

XY XX

It took Mark four long years to get to this point, which he believed would be the most significant turning point of his businessman career. Mark wiped his sweaty palms on his trousers as he waited.

What was taking them so long? Mark thought as he checked his wristwatch once more. The door opened, and in came the man who held the future of Mark's start-up in his hands.

"What's this? Why are you here?"

"Good morning Mr. Philips. I'm here to show you Nova Labs' offer."

Mark stared at the man who came to sit across from him, "but you're an accountant at Astoria."

"Nova labs is part of Astoria's assets."