7-9

EP 7: Conquering the town without violence
While the hungry villagers were having their fill, their bodies quickly turned from skin-and-bones to pictures of health and strength. The changes were so dramatic everyone started asking the ones next to them to confirm it.

“You, you looked so weak earlier and now you’ve got such a body!”

“You looked like a skeleton earlier but now you’ve got a great physique!”

“It’s true! I couldn’t even move a while ago, now I’m jittery from all the energy!”

“It was inevitable. Forbidden fruit acts as a fast-acting healing agent as well as food.”

“Oh my, that sword is talking!”

“As expected of the Demon King, her sword isn’t normal either. But still, she saved us. You have our gratitude.”

“You’re welcome,” Merle said. “But why were you all starving in the first place?”

“Ah, you see, the thing is, Demon King…”

The villagers explained that its difficult to raise crops in this mountainous, rocky ground, so they can only grow enough to sustain themselves. However, the king of the country demanded regular shipments of crops as tax; as a result, the town was often left starving.

“To take the food off his own people’s plates,” Merle said. “What a terrible king, driving his people into starvation like this!”

“His Majesty only thinks of His needs, which is why we of the town of Ola suffer.”

“If all of you are in such terrible conditions, you rebel,” Merle said.

“The town has neither the manpower nor the equipment. If we rebel, we’ll only suffer even more.”

Merle was reminded of why she was here: to effortlessly take over a small and defenseless town. It was only certain that a king’s army could crush it, too.

“Demon Lady!” said the beggar girl from earlier as she came running up, looking much healthier than before. “Thanks to you, I’m full! I made you a sword as a gift!” she said as she held up a small “sword” made from forbidden fruit peels.

Despite the shoddy craftsmanship, Merle took it. “Thank you, I’m happy to have it. I may be the Demon King, but I can still be grateful to you humans.”

“Human or demon, you still helped our town!” the girl said.

“Indeed,” said an old man with a long white beard as he walked up and patted the girl’s head. He was still thin despite the forbidden fruit, but his eyes were full of life.

“I am the mayor of this town,” he said. “I was shocked to hear you calling yourself the Demon King, but I was more impressed to see you saving our people.”

“Grandpa’s the mayor!” the girl said. “He’s a great man!”

“But know I am far less great than the Demon King, Emily,” the Mayor said.

“I’m just glad the villagers and the kids are well,” Merle said.

“All thanks to you, Demon King,” the Mayor said. “If you hadn’t come, we would have starved to death; we owe you our lives.”

“That’s enough,” Merle said. “I’ve no use controlling such a small town, let’s go to the next, Succubus.”

“Yes, your Highness!” Succubus said.

“Wait, Demon King!” the Mayor called out. “We still owe you a debt; we have almost become a demon territory already, so perhaps you may officially take this territory as your own?”