58

The mayor of Pekona was called then and silently listened to the news.

“That’s why I need a place to evacuate to,” Merle said. “Can you shelter everyone in this town?”

“I’m willing to accept anything that the Demon King asks of me,” the mayor said. “However, it seems reckless to deal with a party of heroes alone and with a flock of dragons, at that. It’s disrespectful to say this but I can’t believe that Your Majesty is trying to save the people at the cost of your own life,” the mayor said with his arms crossed, looking even more muscular than before.

Lucille held the same opinion. Maybe Merle would finally come around.

“No, forgive me, I still expect to die,” Merle said. “Even if there was so much I still wanted to do.”

“Your Majesty saved our town,” the mayor said. “I’ve heard that many other towns have been rescued since then. Your actions are leading our settlements in the right direction. It’s too early for you to die. Many towns still need you.”

“And that is why you can’t die,” Lucille said.

“… Are you my assistant now?” the mayor said before he turned back to Merle. “I accept your command. Our town has just expanded our borders and the healthy residents are building houses along the roads. There will be room, rest assured that you can leave this to me.”

“Thank you, I’m grateful,” Merle said. “If you already look this muscular, everyone is probably like bodybuilders by now.”

“I’m proud of what I have but I’ve never seen anyone stronger than the citizens of our town,” the mayor said.

“That makes me more assured. I ask for everyone’s cooperation.”

“You will have it.”

With the consent of Pekona’s mayor, the citizens of the capital packed up their bags and began moving under the cover of night. The young people dispatched from the village guided the people, demons, and monsters, leading them to Pekona.

From the balcony, Merle looked over the unlit town.

Normally, the houses and the taverns would be glowing bright, the streets would be lively even late into the evening, but now darkness blanketed it, the quiet was like the calm before the storm.

“Merle… it seems all the citizens have evacuated the city,” Lucille said. “We’re the only ones left.”

“Thank you so much, Lucille,” Merle said.

Why is she smiling? Lucille feels hurt as she sees Merle smiling in the darkness. It was bizarre that she’d be smiling even though she’d be fighting alone from here on out.

Would that smile get swallowed up by the darkness and disappear? As she held both her hands and put them on her chest, Lucille’s eyes teared up.

“Don’t leave.”

As she closed her eyes, her tears spilled. She was sure Merle would leave her behind for someplace far beyond. Anxiety bares its fangs and gnaws at Lucille from the inside.

Merle gently kissed her crying face; what should be sweet and happy feels salty and painful.

“Don’t cry, Lucille,” Merle said. “I’m not going anywhere. But…”

“I should evacuate as well…” Lucille finished. “I shouldn’t be here by your side.”

She didn’t want to hear it. She didn’t want to hear Merle tell her to leave her behind. She would rather say it herself.

“If… if you’re next to me, Lucille, the Heroes will point their weapons at you without question,” Merle said. “I can’t bear to see that.”

“I… I still…”

… Want to be by your side.

“Don’t say anything more.”

Merle kisses her, Lucille swallows her words.

Merle wanted Lucille beside her, too. But even if she had the option, it was easily one of the worst. Merle was convinced of it after witnessing Dorothy’s atrocities.

“King Merle… is so sly,” Lucille said. “You kissed me and stole my words.”

“Like a gentleman? I think a sly gentleman thief’s rather popular.”

Lucille forces a laugh but as she sees Merle tearing up, she can’t say anything more.

“Hey, Lucille,” Merle said.

“… Yes?”

“Let’s get married when all this is over. We’ll both be wearing wedding dresses.”

“You promise?”

It was a smile without dishonesty. The tears spilling from Merle’s eyes was proof her words were true.

Merle hugged Lucille tightly. Lucille hugs her back with trembling hands, feeling how frail and fragile she is. Merle still smells like herself, but this time Lucille feels no comfort.

“Yes, I promise.”