59

The Demon King sat on her throne.

The city had become an empty shell. Inside the castle is a girl who calls herself the Demon King.

The blade that had been passed down as a legendary magic sword rests beside her.

“We’ll both be in wedding dresses.”

The words she said. The promise she made… could she uphold it?

When she saw Lucille crying and shaking, she couldn’t say that this was the end. She had the flowers that Lucille had bought for her one day.

The red rose, “I love you.”

The white rose, “I deserve you.”

Merle knew flower language. She remembered being so happy that Lucille had put her words and thoughts into the flowers.

She remembers her words to the people. She omen of a new era. There are no Heroes or Demon Kings there.

A new era will come, forsaking broken titles and values.

She was ready to die.

No matter how many people there or whoever they are, they will kill whoever calls themselves a Hero just as they would kill her.

There are no Heroes or Demon Kings in this world anymore.

Break the evil chain that caused conflict and tragedy over and over again.

She was sure it was her destiny to pull out Levantine.

“Lucille…”

I dearly wanted you by my side. She wanted to say that she wanted her by her side.

She was sure Lucille wanted to be with her.

But Lucille doesn’t need to die to break the cycle. Lucille is not the Demon King. Merle didn’t want to involve her.

When she asked if she would wear a wedding dress, Merle imagined Lucille in front of her. She would surely be beautiful, surely so precious, she was sure, she was sure, she was sure.

Merle cried out for a wish that was unlikely to come true. With no one to cry to, tears fell from her eyes as she sobbed.

“… If I could… If I could, I wanted to be with Lucille… forever, forever! Forever! I wanted to be with you. I want to get married.”

She recalled the time since they first met; she recalled how she was always beside her, a bittersweet joy remained in her heart.