53

(EP 53): The Ideal You Dream Of, The Twisted Reality

With a saw-shaped sword forged from dragon bones, Dorothy continued to cut down all the monsters she could see.

Where it’s a young one that doesn’t need to be fought or something harmless, if it’s a monster, she’ll attack it without question, she will chase down those that run away, she will swing her blade until she’s certain they’re dead. Then she’ll do it all over again.

Her appearance is stained in blood, with scattered pieces of flesh and viscera, relentlessly hunting down monsters as something that can no longer be called a Hero.

“Dorothy! Stop! It’s already dead!” Eliza cries as she grabs Dorothy’s sword arm.

“Shut up!” Dorothy cried as she kept swinging her blade down on a demon who had long stopped fighting back. “What are we going to do if it’s still alive?! The demons are all evil! You can’t let Evil live!”

She thrusts her sword into the corpse.

This woman is no longer a Hero. She has become something else, a “Hero” in name only.

As long as they had formed this party, they had been working together, but as Dorothy becomes crazier and crazier with each passing day, Eliza loses her fighting spirit as it becomes clear this isn’t a Heroic War.

She thought she could understand here as a fellow Hero Descendant. But, their images of Heroes were very different; Dorothy’s selfish ideals are far from Eliza’s image.

“Dorothy, that’s enough…” Maria whimpered, “I don’t even want to look at you anymore!”

Dorothy glares at her, Maria is scared into silence. Dorothy shakes the blood and viscera off of her blade before she jumps on a dragon’s back and goes off in search of more prey.

After butchering a dragon for material, the Hero party decided to search for and capture other flying dragons. On the one hand, their travel had become much smoother, but on the other, it let Dorothy spread her slaughtering spree.

She’s killed so many. She’s swung her sword so many times. But no matter how many she cuts down, Dorothy is never satisfied.

Eliza was certain she would only stop until she slayed the Demon King. No, even if she did, she wouldn’t stop until she completely eradicated the demons and monsters.

The party often camped so they can kill monsters at any given time. Without looking for shelter, they made a camp for the night in the middle of an open field, Dorothy attacked any monsters attracted to the light of their fire.

By the end of the night, Dorothy’s massacre was finally over, and with the flickering flames, their day has come to an end.

“I’m thinking of breaking up the party,” Eliza said.

“It’s because of Dorothy,” Maria said.

Maria had wondered what she would feel when she said that, but instead of being surprised, she just stares into the fire, no light in her eyes.

Their goal of defeating the Demon King has become twisted. Rather than feeling the joy of being able to adventure with the Hero, Maria was horrified at the sight of the Hero pursuing a twisted ideal for her selfish reasons.

“Tomorrow morning, I’ll talk to Dorothy,” Eliza said. “We can’t avoid fighting the Demon King for all the monsters I’ve attacked so far but I’m going with the path I dreamed of. What are you going to do?”

“I… well, I’m with you, so I’ll stay with you, Eliza,” Maria said.

“In that case, get ready: this party is finished.”