64

Lucille was more troubled than the refugees.

She wanted to be by Merle’s side, but if it was true that she didn’t have a plan, she just abandoned Merle by choosing to evacuate. But Merle was the one who didn’t want Lucille to even be near her.

Lucille believed that she couldn’t break this promise thanks to her history of breaking them, that she should at least honor this one. However, she couldn’t stop thinking about what could happen as she wasn’t by Merle’s side.

What if the Heroes ended up killing Merle? Even if she tried to distract herself from such thoughts, she couldn’t completely get it out of her head, the thought of losing Merle.

In her head, she’s etched an image of Merle in a wedding dress. Merle promised her they’d get married once the world was peaceful. It brought Lucille such joy and happiness.

But now, that future might turn to ash and disappear.

She hated it, she hated it. She was crying just by thinking about it.

The refugees are also angry, Lucille wonders if they felt similar, but

this anxiety was because the Demon King loved her, too.

The dark prospect of losing someone so important is inescapable.

–It’s useless to think about it.

Merle doesn’t want her by her side.

Lucille broke her promise once. She attacked Merle in her sleep, said she wouldn’t crawl into her bed anymore. However, instead of rejecting her, Merle loved her as she did.

As Lucille thought about it, she couldn’t help but feel her love for Merle overflow, the love that might disappear at any moment.

Lucille shrank into a corner of the room and said nothing. The refugees and the monsters before here were getting restless as they suppressed their emotions; even if they screamed in anger, Lucille wouldn’t hear them now.

If Merle loses, she’ll die. Instead of making their dreams come true, will Lucille live alone and regret it for the rest of her life?

“That… I don’t want that!” Lucille suddenly screamed.

The surprised residents all stare at her.

With a dark expression, a tear trickles down Lucille’s cheek; she silently stands up and leaves the mayor’s mansion.

“Lucille? What’s wrong, Lucille?” Slime calls out as she chases after her.

Lucille opens the door and heads out alone. Slime turned to the other refugees in the mansion, anxious.

“Slime, I’m sure Succubus is just worried,” the flower shop clerk said. “More than us refugees, more than anyone else,” she said as she crouched before slime and patted her head.

“I’m…” Slime said, “I’m worried. I don’t want anything bad to happen to Her Majesty.”

“Yeah, you and me both.”