51

(EP 51): A Premonition
The New Era
A goblin and a human child were playing together in the town square, scribbling on the ground using white stones in their hands. They were drawing each other, the human drawing a goblin, the goblin drawing a human.

They were drawing without a care in the world, the figures in the picture are holding hands and rods as they go fishing.

It’s a small, everyday scene. It wasn’t that important but to Merle, it was a sign of a massive change.

There were no conflicts between these children drawing, the picture they were creating together.

What if these two held the titles of Hero and Demon King?

Would they play like they are now? It was certain that one day, their titles would lead them to cross swords.

Conflict arises because there are Heroes and Demon Kings. The demons and humans will go to war. And where war begins, tragedy soon follows.

If you break this destructive cycle, you don’t need a Demon King nor Heroes. It would have been more peaceful to have no such things.

A reality where a Hero appears just because she called herself the Demon King, there was no need for it any longer.

“I was thinking of something like that,” Merle told Lucille.

It was a private conversation while the two of them lay together in bed, recounting each others’ days.

Lucille was struck at the sudden serious thoughts

from the normally laidback Merle. “You’ve been thinking about this a lot,” she said.

“I have,” Merle said. “If there’s so much conflict just because of titles, I don’t think we need a Demon King or Heroes. When I claimed the title of Demon King, a Hero appeared. I thought it was natural. I’m wondering how natural it truly is.

“I’m also angry at the humans who slaughter others just because they’re monsters—the Heroes especially,” Lucille said. “Maybe the rest of humanity believes the same… but you gave yourself the title of Demon King despite being human yourself. And during your reign, the monsters and the humans are coexisting.

“First there were the humans in Pekona, and now the humans in this city no longer fear the demons. Humans, monsters, and demons all are loyal and sing your praises, Demon King. They all feel the same.”

“That’s why I don’t want to destroy this world because of Heroes and Demon Kings,” Merle said. “As long as I call myself the Demon King, the Heroes will try to slay me.”

“Well, that’s just how it is,” Lucille said. “Just like with your predecessor…”

“I think these twisted old traditions have to end,” Merle said.

“What are you going to do?” Lucille asked.

“I’m not sure but the era of Heroes being for Justice and the Demon King being Evil is over. From now on, I believe there will be eras of just Justice and Evil, or something similar.”

“What will happen to you when the end comes?”

The words get stuck in Lucille’s throat. To her, it sounded as if Merle was about to disappear.

She’s sad as she considers it.

She’s scared as she considers it.

That if she even entertains the thought, she’ll lose Merle.

As her happiness before her seems to vanish, Lucille finds she can only cry.

T/N: “It’s all downhill from here.”