61

A flock of dragons flies high in the sky, beneath them wingless dragons run along the ground. They headed for the city under the Demon King’s control, led by Dorothy.

“Starting here, the Legend of the Heroes begins again!” Dorothy declares as she raises her sword high in the sky like the heroes of legend.

The horrifying serrated blade seems to reveal her soul.

“Yes,” Hawkins roars as he wields his giant ax. “I’ll become a legend with this! I can’t wait for all the fame and wealth coming my way!”

His words encourage the twisted Dorothy, even with his greed exposed.

Where did they lose their way?

Eliza saw the glimmers of Evil in their appearances. As a descendant of the same hero, watching them act for their selfish desires, she almost vomits. She turns green and holds her breath.

Inspired by Dorothy, the dragons are reinvigorated, they rush into the city at tremendous speed. As they crested a hill and saw the castle, Dorothy swung the sword in her hand and joined the assault on the city.

“With the fires of Justice, purify the city poisoned by the Demon King!”

The dragons in the sky shot out fireballs as one. The city was instantly engulfed in flames, the black smoke turned it into a battlefield.

Here, today, Eliza makes a stand against Dorothy. As they watched the smoke and flames rise, the Heroes headed for the castle with different goals in mind.

Fires broke out in the city, several explosions rang out.

Merle didn’t move from the throne, still lazily holding the flowers, feeling the castle shake from time to time from the shockwaves.

“Will you face them here?” Levantine asked, confused that he had yet to be wielded.

“As has always been done before,” Merle said. “There is no Demon King that goes out of their way to meet the Heroes.”

“It felt like you’ve never cared about tradition until now.”

“Let bygones be bygones,” Merle said. “Isn’t this the final battle with the Hero?! The Demon King’s standard is to leisurely await them in the castle!”

Just as she said all that, Merle stretched out and yawned.

“Don’t sit down for so long. Are you a Demon King or not?”

“That’s just how it is,” Merle said. “I’m waiting in the castle as I should. In the stories, the Hero usually gathers his friends and aims to slay the Demon King while growing stronger himself. If you think about it, it’s only natural that they can do it. There are many heads against each Demon King and they’ve gained so much power by that time.

“If this isn’t being a Demon King, then call me a Lich.”

“That sounds just like you, but is it really fine for you to continue to sit around?”

“Hmm, what do you mean?”

“… I mean, it’s time”

Levantine unsheathes himself and floats in front of Merle, radiating a dark aura from his blade and transforming: a broad, double-edged blade dyed jet black, a giant sword with a skull on the hilt, a dark weapon that a Demon King would use to conquer the world.

“Amazing!” Merle said. “Now this is a Demon King’s blade!”

“I just transformed.”

“But it’s amazing! It’s amazing! You fit the mood perfectly!”

“Merle, I will give you all the power of the previous Demon Kings. Prepare to receive it.”

Dark voids appeared in the skull’s eyes as the hilt struck Merle’s chest. She felt a tremendous amount of magical power pour into her as a dark aura explodes from her body.

It was unprecedented power. It was a power that you could use to rule the world.

As Merle stood up, she grabbed Levantine out of the air and swung him towards the heavens.

“Come on, Heroes. Demon King Merle will end this era!”

The abyssal darkness emanating from the blade gathered into a beam and blasted into the heavens.