52

(EP 52): May this day be wonderful
“May this day be wonderful.”

Merle looks around for whoever said that. However, there’s no change in the town square. Around the fountain, monsters and human children are running around together. A human child trips and scratches his knee then starts crying. The goblin ahead of him notices, offers him his hand, he stops crying and the two are playing once more.

“Who are you, lady?” a child calls out; he’s a human boy looking curiously at Merle.

“I am the Demon King,” Merle replies.

“What’s a Demon King?”

“What is it indeed?” Merle replied. “Even I don’t know.”

“That’s weird.”

This is a dream. Merle is dreaming.

She’s sure there are no Demon Kings or Heroes in this dream world, so she doesn’t know what they are herself. It’s an odd feeling, knowing this isn’t reality.

She sees Lucille among the people passing by. Merle chased after her, going into the castle, through the throne room, and finally stopping in the bedroom.

Lucille laughs happily as she throws open the windows and looks out.

Merle tries to call out and stops. There are no Demon Kings and or Heroes in this dream, they are not needed. Therefore she must not exist.

She hears a familiar sound. Of the citizens. Of the demons. Of the monsters. And of Lucille, who she loved. Everyone is laughing so merrily.

“That’s right, they don’t need the Demon King.”

The world around her changed and now Merle was at the church where she first pulled out Levantine. He is stuck in the ground just like before. She gently touches the handle but he won’t come out.

–Levantine will never come out.

“What would have happened if Levantine didn’t come out? Will I still be unemployed and a shut-in?”

As Merle thought about it, tears spilled from her eyes. She met Lucille by pulling out Levantine. She met Slime. Page, Ramiel, the Heroes, her People.

She met them by becoming the Demon King. But the Demon King is already–

Let’s end it.

This dream world is ideal. Let’s end the real world.

“Goodbye, Lucille… Lucile. Lucille, Lucille… I loved you. I love you… I love you. I love you, Lucille! But I’m finished. I have to end this… so this is goodbye.”

She puts her hands on the ground and starts digging. Large tears spill from her eyes and don’t stop. Her crying face was so sad, it was a perfect symbol for a broken heart.

“Goodbye, Lucille.”

Lucille didn’t miss the words Merle whispered as she slept and cried.

“King Merle…?”

Merle woke up with her eyes puffy, Lucille staring right into her face.

“King Merle, did you have a nightmare? King Merle…”

“… I had a dream of a peaceful world…” Merle muttered.

“Then why are you crying?” Lucille asked. “King Merle, you just said ‘Goodbye’ in your sleep.”

“… It’s a dream. It’s just a dream.”

More tears spilled down her wet cheeks. Lucille starts crying as she pushes her face next to Merle’s. Merle’s expression is sad as if she were gazing at someone she loved and lost.

“You’re hiding something, King Merle,” Lucille said. “I can tell you’re planning on doing something.”

“Lucille…”

“If you don’t want to say it, you don’t have to say it,” Lucille said. “But no matter what: I want to be by your side. Don’t ever leave me alone.”

Lucille burst into tears. Merle couldn’t say anything, just put her strength into her arms and hugged Lucille.

She prepared for the end with feelings still left unsaid.