60

“Do you know what you’ve just done?!” Eliza cried.

“I’ve just signaled the beginning of the War for Justice!” Dorothy cried back. “What’s wrong with my actions?!”

There are humans in the city as well as demons and the Demon King. Eliza is outraged to hear they were attacked in their sleep, she cannot even begin to call this “Heroic”.

No matter how much they argue, however, pieces have been set into motion.

Eliza will be seen as Dorothy’s ally so long as she was in this party; her gut was churning with the certainty that she was past the point of no return.

“There is no going back,” Eliza said. “I’m ashamed we’re descended from the same Hero.”

Eliza’s words don’t reach Dorothy. Dorothy ignores her as she walks away and sorts out her belongings, Eliza wonders if she even grasped the gravity of the situation.

There is no going back.

Dorothy doesn’t realize this isn’t a Wor for Justice. It’s a slaughter for a corrupted sense of Justice.

Eliza was restless, for the future, what she would

do then. As she took out a letter from her bag, she kept it in her pockets so Dorothy and Hawkins wouldn’t notice.

“Maria,” Eliza said.

“… Yes?” Maria whispered, trembling.

After s

he had asked Dorothy what happened and the realization hit her, she couldn’t stop shaking. She hadn’t just made enemies with the Demon King, Maria was an enemy of her fellow humans.

“I must ask this of you,” Eliza said. “Will you deliver this letter to the ones you’ll meet?”

Maria took the letter and stared at Eliza in confusion.

“Is this for the Demon King?”

“Yes,” Eliza said. “I didn’t want it to be like this but there is no going back.”

“What are you going to do?” Maria asked.

“I—I’m going to kill Dorothy.”

Her expression is of fierce determination. Maria lets out a relieved sigh at the sight of Eliza’s unwavering heart.

It’s gotten to this. Did she need to take it this far? She thought of other options but couldn’t come up with anything.

“About this, Eliza, can’t you about it for longer?” Maria asked.

“It’s too late,” Eliza said. “Dorothy has attacked the people. It’s no longer just the Demon King, the whole world has become our enemies.”

“But…”

“Don’t you see it, too? Dorothy’s obsessed with believing herself the Hero. At first, I thought I could persuade her and change her mind but she won’t stop any more. She’ll continue to kill until she’s slain all the demons.”

“What will you do after you kill Dorothy…?” Maria asked.

Will it end with killing Dorothy? The hostility was also aimed at the Hero’s party. Even if Dorothy died, the fighting might continue, the thought had Maria on the verge of a breakdown.

“After killing Dorothy… I’m going to die as well,” Eliza said. “I’ll end it all in exchange for my and Dorothy’s lives.”

“No way!” Maria said. What are you saying?!”

“You’re being too loud,” Eliza said. “And I wondered about that while we were traveling. The Demon King is a figure who leads the people, while Dorothy is slaughtering anyone against her in the name of Justice. Even if you call her the Demon King, she’s saving the people. Even if you call her the Hero, she’s just a murderer.

“I came to an answer today: this world doesn’t need Heroes or Demon Kings anymore.”

You must be surprised to be reading a letter from me, a Hero. However, I entrusted my words to paper, in the hopes that you would read them.

As you may already know, I was in a party with Dorothy. We are descendants of the same Hero. However, Dorothy only believes in the pride of being a Hero and her distorted Justice. You can’t even see the shadow of a Hero as she relentlessly slaughters demons.

I’m sure nothing will change even if she kills you, Demon King. She’ll continue to kill the demons until they’re all wiped out. The fact that you’re reading this letter means my persuasion was all for naught.

I’m going to kill Dorothy. As a descendant of the same Hero, I want to at least send off my wayward relatives with my own hands. After killing Dorothy, I’ll take my life as well.

Can you hear my request if you will continue to lead the people?

I wish for you to lead the world after the death of the Heroes. No more Heroes or Demon Kings in our times. No more being swallowed up by titles. So abandon the title of the Demon King and lead the world in the right direction.

I wish for peace in the new era.

– Eliza