47

Merle watched the goblins, golems, and carpenters working together from the balcony, reflecting on the changing feelings of the humans.

The demons and humans aren’t fundamentally pitted against each other; they could cooperate so long as they’re given a chance to. Human, demon, monster, none of that seems to matter to the city before her; they walk together hand-in-hand towards a common goal.

Merle opened her eyes. That day she pulled out Levantine, a voice echoed in her head. It sought power, sought blood, and sought chaos. The days since she was claimed the title of Demon King have passed in the blink of an eye.

By claiming the name, people calling themselves Heroes appeared in response. She thought it was natural but now she’s having doubts about it. If this were a fairy tale or a myth, it’s just a matter of course. But in the context of reality, did they really need to be opposing forces?

Did she have to defeat either one because of her title?

–She can’t figure out an answer. But she doesn’t think there will be an answer.

Merle is the reigning Demon King, Eliza and Dorothy have come forward as Heroes. She’s not confident that even if she crosses blades with and defeats either one, this will all be over.

“What’s wrong, King Merle?” Lucille asks as she walks up to Merle from behind.

“Just thinking a little,” Merle replied.

Lucille had been staring at her do just that for several minutes. She tried to talk to her earlier but it seemed that her Merle had disappeared for a moment, faded and blown away in the wind. She was so terrified she couldn’t come closer, as if she were about to disappear.

Lucille’s chest hurts. She didn’t know what it was but it seemed that Merle was somewhere far away.

–She didn’t want that to happen.

Lucille touched her back to prove Merle was really there, it was soft and a little cold because of the wind. However, Lucille relaxed and felt at peace as she inhaled Merle’s scent.

The wind silently blew past the two.

Merle’s long, black hair fluttered and seemed to wrap around Lucille. The feeling of Merle’s hair on Lucille’s face was unpleasant compared to before. Before the battles, before the journey here. Merle’s hair should have been luxurious but felt so brittle and damaged.

“King Merle, your hair’s badly damaged.”

“It’s because I’ve been out a lot. It hurts.”

“Do you remember the first time we met?”

“It was when I first drew Levantine. I remember.”

“At that time, you were just a small-town girl you’d find anywhere. If I’m honest, couldn’t believe such a young girl had pulled out the magic sword, I was so surprised.”

“I was surprised, too,” Merle said. “I suddenly received a servant… who’s no longer a servant.”

Lucille hugged Merle from behind. She feels Lucille’s body pressing against her back, the demon she’d met then who’d become irreplaceable to her.

“King Merle, why don’t we comb your hair for now?” Lucille asked.

“–We can,” Merle said. “I’ll do something feminine for once.”

“I’ll clean up your long black hair, King Merle.”

Lucille smiles and laughs as she combs Merle’s hair.

“Why does her laugh sound so sweet? Even though I’m a human, she’s a succubus, and we’re both women. Why is my heart fluttering like this?”

Merle kept these thoughts to herself.