56

“You call yourself a Hero?!” Merle snaps. “Don’t make me laugh!”

“If you want to laugh, laugh!” Dorothy snaps back. “I am the Hero! And you are the Demon King! Absolute Justice! Absolute Evil! It’s an unquestionable truth!”

As Dorothy deflects a thrust from Levantine, the serrated edge cuts open Merle’s leg.

“Guh!” Merle cries as she staggers.

Dorothy smiles and closes the distance.

She was beaten once but she was convinced she would be able to defeat the Demon King by herself.

She’s completely unharmed while Merle is bloodied and wounded.

–She can win.

With all this power, Dorothy couldn’t wait to claim her victory; however, as she said, this was just a raid. “Demon King, this is a declaration of war between the Heroes and your forces.”

“Did you really need to set the city on fire for that?” Merle asked, blood constantly spilling from the wound on her leg, the edges jagged and ugly; she tries to hold it shut, blood spills from between her fingers.

“It was necessary.”

“The people don’t care if the others are monsters or demons, so even if you defeat me, you’re finished!” Merle cried.

“No, the people’s eyes are clouded because of you, Demon King. Their minds are clouded with sweet lies, they mistake this for peace. To wake them up…”

“You’re a real pain in the arse and cancerous at that.”

“This is purification,” Dorothy said. “The twisted values seeded by the Demon King. I need to purify it to the foundation.”

“I’ve had enough of your talk!” Merle cried.

She pulled out Levantine and shot forward.

Dorothy leaped up and onto the back of a dragon swooping down from above, she effortlessly twisted her body and parried the slash.

“I won’t just slay you, Demon King,” Dorothy said. “I’ll kill everyone who cooperates with the demons and anyone else who fights against us. Tell your people that. The next time, I’ll be serious about killing you; until then, lick your wounds.”

“You bitch…!” Merle roars as she slashes at the air.

But the dragon dodges and keeps on rising into the air.

Dorothy laughs haughtily. “Farewell, Demon King! The next time will be your end!”

“Don’t run away, you bastard Hero!” Merle yelled. “I’ll slice your head off, you bitch!”

Dorothy’s laugh echoes as she flies away with her dragon. The rest of the dragons follow suit, gradually growing smaller and smaller until they disappear.

“Battle for Justice?” Merle spat. “The Hero is for Justice, the Demon King is Evil? That bastard Hero… I’ll make sure to kill her.”

She clenched her teeth so hard her gums bled; exhausted and angry, Merle slammed her fist into the ground.

“She’s insane!”

The human residents, the demons, and monsters gathered before the throne, they all shout in anger as they learn it was a Hero that attacked them.

“What should we do against a Hero?!”

“I’ve never heard of such a Hero, targeting not only the demons but the humans as well…”

“How can that Hero call herself ‘an agent of Justice’?! She isn’t a Hero, she’s so much worse!”

“She is! The Demon King cares more about us people! Isn’t the Demon King for Justice?”

Merle just closed her eyes and heard the voices of anger, sure they weren’t going to calm down any time soon.

She thought there would be a conflict someday but she didn’t think it would break out like this. Depending on what happened in the future, she’d have to weigh not only her own but the lives of her subjects.

They can’t afford to put innocents at risk while hoping peace would come.

“The next time this happens, let’s fight back!”

“They attacked us while we were sleeping but now let’s arm ourselves and meet them full force! Let’s strike down her ‘Justice’ and that crazy Hero!”

Merle opened her eyes as the anger turned to talk of arming themselves.

“I want all of you to listen. This is what we will do next.”

The inhabitants turned to her.

Everyone had already declared their intent to resist; with all her subjects prepared for war, they couldn’t have expected what Merle was going to say.