63

Dorothy headed for the castle and hurried to the throne room as soon as she dismounted her dragon.

—This is the time for her Justice. The Legend of the Hero starts now.

With the beliefs she held dear to her heart and her dreams about to become reality, she couldn’t help but feel excited and ecstatic.

Hawkins, Eliza, and Maria came in behind her, all four of them were now assembled before the throne room. The huge doors were closed but darkness leaked through a small gap between them, seemingly warning that they should not be opened.

“It’s time for our audience with the Demon King,” Dorothy said. “Everyone, don’t get sloppy.”

“Roger,” they say.

Thrilled at the thought of the Demon King’s defeat, Dorothy pushes the door open with both hands. As the heavy doors slowly open, the darkness spills out like a fog and turns the surroundings dim.

This is the final step. Eliza is prepared to kill Dorothy.

Should she attack before the Demon King has a chance to or should she kill her at the last minute to prevent the Demon King’s defeat?

Whatever the case, she’ll kill Dorothy as soon as an opportunity presents itself; after that, it’s out of her hands.

She glances once at Maria to make sure, she nods back in acknowledgment.

The two Heroes have different goals but they’ve come together at one final point.

Sitting on the throne was a girl with long black hair. The large jet-black sword from before seemed to have transformed, now looking far more terrifying. More importantly, black magical power overflows from the blade and the girl both.

Merle’s eyes shine in the darkness. “Welcome, Hero and allies… to the beginning of the end.”

The Heroes tremble as Merle’s power is fully unleashed.

The evacuation center, Pekona, was quite different than what Lucille had seen before.

The town that was withering and about to die had made a complete 180-degree turn. All of the old, aging houses had now been rebuilt and the handful of buildings have more than doubled.

The first fruit tree given to them has grown larger and bears several fruits; elsewhere, saplings as tall as a man bear fruit as well, all combining into a magnificent orchard.

As Lucille waited at the mayor’s mansion for the battle to end, drinking tea from the residents. As the only other thing she could do, she prayed with her hands clasped and pressed to her forehead.

–Merle, please be safe. Please live. Please do not lose.

She wasn’t the only one. The humans who evacuated with her, the demons, and the monsters felt much the same.

The Demon King stayed behind and evacuated all of them. Could she stand alone against a flock of dragons or win against the Hero’s party? Whether you believed it or not, everyone felt helpless.

“Damn it!” one of the refugees cried as he punched a wall. “Why did we have to evacuate?!”

“It’s the heroes who’re Evil! They’re saying we’re being oppressed by the Demon King but the reality is peaceful! It’s the heroes who suddenly appeared and attacked us…!”

“I know how you feel but it’s the Demon King’s command. I wonder if the Demon King has a plan.”

“What plan? I’m not convinced she even had one!”

Everyone feels similarly. The refugees were more distressed and troubled than they thought they would have been if Merle had allowed them to remain in the city and fight.