50

"It's Succubus?" Page asked. "Your Majesty, were you a man this whole time?"

"No, I'm a woman," Merle said. "I wouldn't be as cute if I were a man."

"And you're two women in a relationship?"

"Precisely," Merle said. "Lucille is my dear lover."

"All manner of people in this world," Merle said.

"Such is our reality," Lucille adds.

Merle declared Lucille here lover without any hesitation, Lucille was so happy she couldn't control herself.

"You know, I don't think that Old Man will get married," Merle said as they laid together in bed. "But they're good friends and even if Ramiel didn't say anything, she looked happy."

Page and Ramiel laughed sheepishly and looked happy together.

Merle was so certain Page and Ramiel overcame the crisis facing their hometown and many others before, forging an unwavering trust and bond between them, and in the end, they were united in marriage.

Both Merle and Lucille were rather envious of them.

"Incidentally, while I was out to buy flowers, I saw a woman in a wedding dress," Lucille said. "She looked so happy, I was so jealous of her."

"Longing for a wedding dress!" Merle said. "Hmm, I'll make sure you can wear one someday."

"Do you want to wear one too, Merle?" Lucille asked.

"But of course! If we're getting married, we'll both be in wedding dresses!"

She imagined two people in a wedding ceremony, holding hands and being blessed. Receiving everyone's well wishes, petals dancing around as everyone cheers. Merle sighs just thinking about it.

"Oh, right," Merle said. "Lucille, close your eyes."

"What's this all of a sudden?" Lucille asked as she obeyed.

Merle took Lucille's left hand.

"King Merle, aren't you being rather playful today?"

"Guilty as charged," Merle said.

Lucille felt something cold on her ring finger.

"Right! You can open your eyes now," Merle said.

It was a silver ring, a thin band with a small jewel in the center.

"Is this...?" Lucille asked.

"I found it while I was looking for a vase," Merle said. "It's alright, I have its pair. Maybe it was made for the King and Queen?" she grins as she shows off her left hand, fitted with a similar ring of a different color.

They held each other's left hand and touched their foreheads together.

"We're engaged now, aren't we?" Merle whispered. "We still have too many things to do before we get married, so this is all we can do for now; but someday, when the world is peaceful, we'll get married."

"Then we'll both be in wedding dresses," Lucille said.

"Yes," Merle said. "We'll both be in wedding dresses."

"King Merle," Lucille whispered. "I love you, King Merle. I love you not because you're the Demon King but because you're you. I'm so happy because of you, King Merle."

"I love you, too, Lucille. I love you, too."

United by one dream, praying for it to become true, the two women embraced each other and kissed.

T/N: "It's all downhill from here." is a humorous, often sarcastic saying in English. It means that your wedding/engagement be the highest, happiest point of your life, and nothing else will ever compete afterward. To use an unrelated saying that's about to become relevant in the coming arc:

"The shit's about to hit the fan."