55

The city was suddenly ablaze. The air flooded with screams and crying, the citizens jolted awake.

“What the hell is happening?!” they shout as they stare at the burning buildings.

A surprise attack. Though they didn’t know if it was from Hero or something else, the citizens rushed to control the flames.

“Anyone who can move, move!”

“Water! Water, hurry!”

Without any leadership amid the chaos, so many calls for help and rescue are drowned by the raging flames.

“Someone, please help!” a woman wailed as she stood in front of her burning house. “My kids are still inside!”

The goblins rushed to investigate, they cast spells a spell at the building. “Great Thunder God, you who make your home in the heavens, bless our hands with your tears–Water Shot!”

Streams of water shoot out of their palms and onto the house but it’s not strong enough to douse the flames. The goblins clenched their teeth as they sustained the spell in the face of the unstoppable fire.

“Ahh, heavens, Demon King, please help us!” the mother prayed through her tears cried. “Please help us!”

“If it’s fire, leave it to me!” Slime cried as she rushed in.

She stood next to the goblins, her body began to shake, splitting into several copies and releasing water from her palms as they did. With many more streams of water, the fire begins to weaken and emit black smoke.

With Slime taking over the goblins stopped casting and rushed into the house. “Alright! We’re going in!”

“Be careful!” the mother cried.

The fire was still raging but not hot enough to burn them to death. The goblins run into the rooms as sparks dance all around them, shouting, “Hey! Where are you? Where are you?” 

They rushed to the second floor, broke down a door, and found two girls trembling on a bed. “It’s alright! We’re here to help!” the goblins cry.

The girls cry out, hug the goblins tight as they carry them off and back down the stairs.

“You’re safe now! We’ll take you to your mum right away!”

Just before they reached the front door, a burning pillar collapsed and blocked it. They dodged it, the goblins looked around for other routes but the smoke fills the room and blocks their vision, they can’t even see the halls.

Rescue. They have to rescue them. They have to help them see their mum again.

One of the girls cries out: “Mama!”

“It’ll be alright!” the goblins cry. “We’ll make sure you’ll see your mum again!”

The sound of slashing echoed in the air as the fallen column was shredded. At the end of the smoke, Merle stands with Levantine.

“Demon King!”

“Get out already!”

They rush out the exit with the two kids, the family bursts into tears as they hug and thank the goblins several times over.

“Think nothing of it, it’s fine,” one of the goblins says as the rest look around for Merle, find she’s no longer here.

The Demon King. Believing that she had gone to help others, the goblins rushed off to do the same; there were many more homes that were still burning. They rushed in at a heartbeat, using their water magic even if they lacked such strength.

Countless Slime copies were spraying water all over the streets. With the help of the other monsters and humans who could use water magic, the flames were gradually extinguished.

When Merle heard that there were still people inside, she asked Slime for information before she sliced up the front door with Levantine. She saw goblins holding children behind the door, she ensured they made it out safe, then headed off to the next citizens in trouble.

She didn’t know why they were suddenly attacked. If she looked at the town, fires are rising everywhere, dragons are flying in the sky.

She was sure the dragons started the fires. However, one of them is turning and looking down at the city yet isn’t preparing to attack.

Who on earth was that?

Merle felt ill as she realized the answer.

A blade comes crashing down from above her. Merle evaded it and put space between herself and a familiar figure.

A Hero she faced before, except the aura she radiated then was gone, she now looks like a devil burning with rage.

“Demon King—do you remember me?” she says.

“Are you… a Hero?” Merle asked.

A saw-shaped sword calls Merle’s attention. The Hero did not have such a sword before, it was twisted and dyed a furious red and deep black. The Hero holding it also looked just as twisted, as if she had been reborn into something else.

“I am Dorothy the Hero,” she said. “This is a raid to begin War of Justice.”

“A War of Justice?” Merle spat. “A War of Justice in a peaceful town like this?!”

That self-serving claim was a good enough reason for Merle to get rid of her. Though she called herself a Hero, it was clear she no longer fights for the people.

“Yes, I am the Hero of Legend,” Dorothy said. “The Hero who will again slay the Demon King and lead this world!”

“I will kill you, you bitch!” Merle screamed.

Levantine radiated a black aura and empowered by Merle’s anger, he flashed forward at a speed impossible to parry.

But Dorothy, deflected him to the side with a shower of sparks.

“No, Demon King,” she said, “it’s you who will fall to the Sword of Justice!”

The serrated edge keeps catching and stopping Levantine. Every time he gets parried, Levantine shakes from point to hilt, Merle can do nothing about it.

“This is ‘Justice’?!” Merle shouts. “You’re a Hero yet you’re completely insane?!”

“I’m the Hero because I’m for Justice,” Dorothy shouted back. “You, Demon King, are evil. This is only natural!”

Their blades clash and cross over, and over, and over, and over again.

The sword of the Hero who believes herself an agent of Justice and the sword of the Demon King fueled by her anger and her passion for her people.