33

Two people were watching the mayors and the citizens leaving the castle: Page and Ramiel.

After being defeated in battle by the Demon King, Page was seriously injured and hiding out in the city with Ramiel as he recovered. By the time he had healed to some extent, the city was under Merle’s control and the two went looking for something to do for their future.

No more Kings were hiring them for their services; without a master, they were aimless wanderers.

For the time being, they had secured a room at a cheap inn with what little money they had when they saw the mayors visiting the city and followed after them. They settled down at a cafe near the castle gates, watching them walk in.

But what happened inside? The mayors who entered with such grim faces were leaving with grins from ear to ear, broke out into runs while laughing like madmen, and some were even escorted by soldiers and carriages. Something smelled suspicious.

“What’s going on in there?” Page asked as he stared at the stream of people going through the gates, unable to believe his eyes.

“Everyone came in with such dour looks… and this is how they come out. At first, I thought they’d been driven mad by the demands but that doesn’t seem to be the case,” Ramiel said.

“What on earth is that young lady Demon King doing?” Page asked, his face deep in thought.

After clashing with Merle, he was worried about what was going on inside the castle. Conquered by the Demon King, it seemed that the world had plunged into a dark era. Page imagined that the town would be destroyed, the people would suffer, and the Demon King would bring the whole world to ruin.

But what’s going on?

The parts of the town destroyed during their fight had been repaired and no one is suffering. Far from the end of the world, it feels more alive than ever before.

“I can’t help but worry!” Page said. “Hey, Ramiel! Let’s ask that young lady to her face.”

“You’re being unreasonable,” Ramiel said. “Your wounds haven’t fully healed yet!”

Page’s body was wrapped in layers upon layers of bandages to hide his wounds and scars. Just by standing up, Page cried out for the pain in his chest.

Ramiel still waited for Page, even if he just said he’d go meet the Demon King in such a state. She knew that once he set declared something, he wouldn’t stop for anything. This could be good or bad. However, his steadfastness was in his core, his personality, what attracted Ramiel to him to in the first place.

As they started walking, a crying, brown-skinned girl passed them by. A middle-aged man seems to be running after her. As they watched her go, they wondered what had happened.

“Did you just see that?” Page said. “That young lady just ran out crying. After everything she said, that Demon King was a bastard, after all, wasn’t she?”

“Don’t be crazy,” Ramiel said. “You’re still so injured yet you’re going to fight the Demon King again?”

“It’s all on her!” Page said. “Anyone who makes a woman cry is more than likely a bastard!”

“Page!” Ramiel shouts.

Page passes through the gates and storms up to the throne, the people in line flee in fear of him.

If she’s doing something terrible, I’ll give her one chance, Page thought as he walked.