57

“I want everyone but me to evacuate the city by tonight.”

“Your Majesty…” the citizens say in disbelief, “what did you just say?”

“I will fight the Hero alone,” Merle said.

“That’s crazy! The Hero had a whole flock of dragons with them and I heard they’re forming a party! How do you expect to fight alone against such numbers!”

“Silence. I’ll be fine, you’ll all just get in my way.”

The normally easy-going girl’s voice defused the tension among the citizens. Despite the situation, Merle’s serious tone calmed them down.

“It’s been so long since I became the Demon King,” Merle said. “I’m seriously wondering what the connection is between the Demon King and the Hero.”

“What do you think it is?”

“It’s natural for the Hero to try to slay the Demon King, so at first I was unconsciously trying to be more Demon King-like, but did I have to fight in the first place?”

“Well, that’s…”

“If I claim my title, a Hero will come forth as a matter of course, and so long as I’m alive, they’re going to try to slay me, the Demon King! If you think about it calmly, isn’t it horrible? We’re killing each other only because of our titles and I think that’s insane.”

Merle’s unconventional ideas make the inhabitants question their own beliefs; some of them forget to raise their voices in protest.

“So I came to this city and became a decent Demon King,” Merle said. “Here, people, demons, and monsters all live together in peace regardless of species. That’s where I believe the future lies.”

“The future…?”

“The future,” Merle said. “A world that doesn’t need Heroes or Demon Kings. A world that doesn’t come to blows because they’re humans, demons, or monsters. I think it’s time we abandon the old values and create a new world.”

The citizens stare at Merle speaking with conviction and without hesitation.

They hadn’t even thought about it. However, that future is becoming a reality right before them. The residents felt there was hope for such a future when they remembered their lack of conflict with the demons and monsters.

“I believe the answer is to destroy the Demon Kings and Heroes, with my generation as the last.”

“’Destroy the Demon King’? What does that mean?”

“It means that the Heroes and I will destroy each other once for all. That insane Hero will probably kill everyone else alongside me, so that’s why everyone should evacuate by day’s end. That is a command,” she said as she thrust a finger out.

Merle rarely used the word “command,” but this time, she needed to ensure they would obey.

“If the Demon King commands it…”

“Yes, I command it,” Merle said. “When you return home, get ready to leave the city. When it’s all over, you can return.”

From here on out, Merle needed to settle her business with those left in the castle, too.

“Lucille, can you take me to the mayor of Pekona as quickly as possible?” Merle asked.

“… At once,” Lucille said.

The pieces have begun to move.

The long speech and the serious tone seemed to mask her anxiety. After spending so much time with Merle and getting so close to her, Lucille found it strange and painful.

She hoped this wasn’t an omen of their parting.