70

Emil rushes into the throne room just after Page. In the space between the doors and the throne itself, Page and Hawkins are locked into a duel, roaring as their weapons clash and sparks fly everywhere.

At the end of the hall, the bleeding Merle stares down Dorothy. Beside her, Eliza stands with her blade at Dorothy’s throat.

“Queen Lady!” Emil said as she plants the enchanted flag by her. “We’re here!”

The goblins, the carpenters, and the army that had clashed with the dragons pour in one after the other, be they humans, demons, or monsters. As they saw the fallen Merle, worry and anger spreads through their ranks.

“Not so fast, Heroes!” a resident screamed. “Bastards, don’t think we’ll just let you take the Demon King from us!”

Dorothy looked furiously at the army shouting at her. “Why?! The Hero is for Justice! The Demon King is Evil! What is wrong with the Hero slaying the Demon King?!”

“It’s your mistake to stay trapped in those old ways,” Eliza said. “You should already know this, Dorothy.”

“Impossible! What’s wrong with the Hero being an agent of justice?! It’s you, you, and you!” Dorothy screams as she faces the army surrounding her.

“You’re all wrong!”

Dorothy’s body erupted in a bright red aura; as the dragons’ power reached its peak, a terrifying aura air flooded the throne room. The beings around her tremble in fear at it.

Empowered by her fanaticism, by her twisted but absolute, unwavering beliefs, Dorothy finds the strength to keep fighting. No matter who or how many her enemies were, she would never surrender.

“You’re the one who’s wrong!” Emil shouts, breaking the silence.

“Our village was suffering because of the King! No one had anything to eat and we didn’t know if we’d even be alive to see tomorrow! Then the Demon King came and gave everyone food! She’s not Evil at all! The Demon King… the Demon King is our savior!”

“That girl… I’ll destroy her!” Dorothy screams. “I’ll destroy all of you”

Consumed by the red aura, Dorothy leaps at Merle with all her might. She puts all her anger into her blade, she bares her teeth as her eyes flash with rage, she lets out an animal roar.

As Dorothy brings her blade down, Eliza slashes across her stomach.

The blade of light collides with the red aura, blinding light explodes from the impact. Exposed to the power of the Stigma, Dorothy’s blade falls from her hand, her armor shatters, she slowly collapses.

“It’s over,” Eliza croaks as Dorothy loses consciousness. “It’s over, Dorothy.”

“King Merle!” Lucille screamed as she rushed and pushed her way through the crowds.

Merle staggered up to her feet as she saw Lucille, tried to say something, but before she could, Lucille tackled her and pulled her face to her chest.

“King Merle, King Merle, King Merle!” Lucille wept. “I’m sorry I broke my promise! But I need you, King Merle!”

From Lucille’s momentum, Merle was knocked flat on her butt. She frantically patted Lucille’s back as Lucille cried and hugged her as hard could, stopped as Lucille pulled away and she could see Merle’s exhausted expression.

“Your big boobs were suffocating me… but I wouldn’t have it any other way,” Merle said. “I’m glad you’re here, Lucille, I so badly wanted to see you again.”

Unable to control herself, Lucille kissed Merle as she broke into a fresh round of tears. She did it again, and again, over, and over. She didn’t let her go, couldn’t stand to let her go, couldn’t stand to see her hurt again, so instead of words, they just kissed.

“King Merle, it’s over,” Lucille whispered. “It’s finally over.”

“After all this time…” Merle whispered. “Heh. Hey, Lucille?”

“Yes, King Merle?” Lucille asked.

“Since I’m alive, why don’t we get married and have kids?” Merle asked.

Instead of an answer, Lucille kissed Merle again.

Pushed to the side by Lucille’s sudden entrance, Eliza sighed and shook her head, but there was a smile on her face. After she tossed away the sword she’d no longer need to wield, she offered her hand to Merle as she was being showered in kisses.

“This is it, Demon King,” Eliza said, “we don’t need Heroes nor Demon Kings anymore. The new era has begun.”

Merle took Eliza’s hand and sighed. “And after all this, you’re still calling me that. I just destroyed the whole tradition, I’ll never call myself the Demon King ever again.”

Eliza helps Merle back to her feet, helps her stand as she staggers about before putting her hands on Merle’s shoulders. “Come on, you’ve got an opening ceremony to get to. You can hear them outside, the people are waiting for you.”

“Isn’t that difficult right now because my back got split open?” Merle asked. “My vision’s blurry and I can barely hear the cheering.”

“It won’t be over until you say it is,” Eliza said.

The Demon King entrusts her body to the Hero, the Hero supports the Demon King as they slowly make their way out of the throne room to the balcony. Before the castle gathers all the beings bearing the Demon King’s symbol, they cry out as they see Merle.

They cry out in happiness at the Demon King’s appearance, they cheer for the Demon King, they cry out for the Demon King, they sing the Demon King’s praises.

“Quiet!” Merle yelled. “I’m exhausted already!”

Merle’s voice echoes powerfully, the crowd starts shouting, “Hey!”, “Shut up!”, and “Be quiet, it’s starting.” and gradually calmed down.

“The battle is over!” Merle cried. “But this was neither a victory nor a defeat.”

“This is a break from the past!” Eliza continued. “The days of these outdated, twisted ideals are over.”

Eliza and Merle look at each other, as Eliza smiles, Merle turns back to the crowd and says, “From here on out, there are no more Heroes or Demon Kings, just humans, demons, and monsters! It’s the dawn of the New Era!”

The crowd cheers. The fighting was over. The battle was over.

The Hero and the Demon King hold hands, standing side-by-side, and speaking together. Before them, the humans, the monsters, and demons shout with joy for the beginning of the new era.

“Demon King, ah, sorry, Former Demon King,” Eliza says, “Would you tell me your name?”

“It’s Merle,” Merle says. “Merle Probe.”

“Merle? My name is Eliza,” Eliza says. “Your deeds have changed the world. Your ideals have led us to a new era. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

“All that aside, I just wanted to keep my promise to Lucille,” Merle said.

“Hmm, that sounds just like you,” Eliza said.

“Lucille,” Merle said, “I want to see Lucille.”

“Oh, leave that to me,” Eliza said, holding Merle’s shoulders as she turns her around.

Just behind them, Lucille stands with both hands over her mouth, her shoulders shaking as she stares at Merle with teary eyes.

“Lucille, it’s over…” Merle said.

And after seeing her lover’s face and saying those words, the last of Merle’s strength left her, she collapses with a quiet sigh.