67

Blood spilled out from Merle’s body and pools around her; it’s not hard to see that her back had been ripped open.

“Incredible work, Hawkins! Now, we can deliver a Hero’s Justice!” Dorothy cries, laughing and looking like a madwoman as she approaches Merle and slashes at her with her sword. As she stepped into the pool of Merle’s blood and saw her collapsed before her, she couldn’t help but smile.

“Now you know the truth, Demon King!” Dorothy cried. “Evil cannot defeat Justice! I will finally lead the world!”

“Damn it…” Merle mutters, only able to turn her eyes up at Dorothy.

Even if she made the smallest movement, the pain was overwhelming; the rest of the party steps in the blood pool as they surround her.

Merle’s life flashes before her eyes. When she was a shut-in, when she pulled out Levantine, when she met Lucille, and when she went to Pekona—all those memories up to the present. As she remembered how happy and fulfilled she was, Merle smiled.

“Why are you smiling at death’s door?” Dorothy snapped. “Now, Demon King, this–“

She raises her saw-like blade high.

“–Is your end!”

The back of Eliza’s hand lit up.

Dorothy brought her blade down.

The Stigma releases its power all at once, a sword with divine power flashes into existence.

Dorothy is knocked back by it, she recovers and stares at the Demon King. As she wonders what happened, she watches Eliza put herself before the Demon King.

“What? Why? What’s going on?!” Dorothy screamed, confused and lost.

Eliza just stares back at her with hostility.

They are descendants of the same Hero. Members of the same party. A Hero who she thought had the same goal.

Now, it’s a betrayal.

“Let’s finish this,” Eliza said.

“What are you talking about, Eliza…?” Dorothy asked. “Why? Why are you getting in my way?”

“Your Justice… isn’t Justice at all!” Eliza cried.

“Eliza… what are you saying…?” Dorothy asked.

“What is Justice? The will to save another! A heart that cares for others!”

Fiery anger ignites inside Dorothy. “What are you going on about, Eliza?! You are… you’re a Hero for Justice! The Demon King is evil!”

“No… what is Evil? Evil is a violent woman who acts only for her selfish desires, being twisted by her title! We are the Evil ones here!”

“Elizaaaa…!” Dorothy screams.

Dorothy attacks Eliza in a rage. As the saw-like blade strikes the sword of light, sparks and beams of light go flying.

“You are no Hero!” Dorothy screamed. “Eliza… you’re also being brainwashed by the Demon King!”

“You’re trapped by your desire to become the Hero, you should have just abandoned it! And right now, I will end it!”

The two Heroes clash blades over and over again, moving so fast they only left afterimages, the sparks and rays are almost blinding. As Dorothy transforms into a raging devil, Eliza prepares to strike her with her full strength.

“I will be the agent of Justice!” Eliza cries.

A powerful shockwave shakes the whole castle and echoes through the halls. As light poured in from above, everyone looked up and watched as shattered debris and dragons rain down on them.

They jump backward and dodge them, a giant dragon crashes before the Heroes, its body laden with arrows. Smoke rises from the corpse, they stop for a moment to investigate what happened.

“Eliza!” Maria cries. “Look… look outside!”

Eliza rushed out to the balcony and looks over the walls; on a distant hill, the Demon King’s flag stood.